Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Breaking In The Mini - Prime Rib  (Read 1988 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Breaking In The Mini - Prime Rib
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:36:07 PM »
Picked up my mini WSM 3 days ago.  Did a 15 hour seasoning with fat 2 days ago and today was the first cook.  I injected the roast with some beef stock last night and rubbed with a combo of Montreal Steak Spic, Annaheim Chilie Powder and some smoked salt.  I seared the roast on the Jumbo Joe:

Then transfered to the mini WSM.  Smoked it at 210f for about 4 hours till it hit 133f internal:

I have been cooking Prime Rib for a number of years now and find that doing the balance of cooking at a low temp leads to an even, moist product.  A long rest time is not needed.

I have rarely put a better smoke ring on a prime rib...I think I am gonna like my Mini:

This baby tasted as if it had a bacon wrapping and much of it was buttery smooth in texture.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Breaking In The Mini - Prime Rib
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
Looks awesome.  I remember you telling me that the Pastor Dude that you bought the mini from said, what can you cook on this thing?  If he only knew now....
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jmeier64

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
That looks so darn good. Well done. Looks like it is mini break in night :) I just used mine for the first time made a pork bomb.
First up a nice 3 wheeler red head

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
That looks fantastic. Perfectly cook just the way I liked it.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:21:36 AM »
Wow!!   I might have to make a trip down to your place sooner than I thought ... Keep a place setting open for me .. please!  :D ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

eccj

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:48:35 AM »
Wow! That looks real good!

namtrag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
I never would have thought prime rib would work on a WSM....it looks incredible!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »
That looks so good!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
I never would have thought prime rib would work on a WSM....it looks incredible!

When I measured the roast on the cooker before starting I found if I put it in where the top shelf "should" be the top of the roast had about half an inch clearance.  Just like my 22.5 the mini has 2 different shelves, 1 that fits right down in on top of the water pan and 1 that fits on the top shelf holders.  What I did was put the proper top shelf in first handles up, which actually fits in higher than right on top of the water pan.  Then I took the other shelf (which has a handle unlike my 22.5) and put it in upside down on top of the first shelf.  This gave me a little more head room for the roast.

That roast was just shy of 8 pounds and was uneven so did not sit straight.  It took up less space than those pictures belie so I believe I could have fit one in that was 16 pounds...maybe a little more.  Damn. 

Got my 22.5 at Christmas and have used it maybe 25-30 times I am thinking.  Each and every cook sees me having to work less to keep clean smoke, sees better quality clean smoke and makes better end product.  As this mini comes into good had gunk it is going to get better!!!  I cannot f****n' wait.  Not because the food doesn't taste great now....but because I gotta know how good it is going to get.  Each cooker is a little different and this little mini just made me a prime rib with a killer smoke ring....What is that smoke ring gonna look like on my Christmas Prime Rib???  The amount of charcoal this thing used on a 15 hour seasoning session was diddly squat so I am thinking of doing a few more of them due to the low associated cost and the promise of better smoke rings.

I wake up at night thinking of how to make meat better.  Is there something wrong with me? 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:54:56 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"