Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Calling all Weber Q owners  (Read 34806 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Re: Calling all Weber Q owners
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2015, 06:36:25 AM »
I'm a new(er) Q2000 owner, and it has re-lit my appreciation for Weber products.

My wife and I were debating the idea of replacing our 5 burner charmglow gasser this year.  It is about 7-8 years old, and was in need of its 3rd set of tubes and deflector plates.  The last time I replaced them, the full kit set me back almost the price of a new grill.  This year, I was able to find a decent replacement set for $40.  So my dream of a new Summit grill on my deck went out the window.  I can't complain, though, the rest of the charmglow has held up pretty well for a $400 SS grill.

But we also camp a lot, and our boys are involved in sports that require a lot of weekends spent at sports complexes.  Both of us were getting tired of packing sandwiches in coolers, and spending $50-$100/day on concessions/fast food was simply out of the question for us.  After doing a fair amount of research, I chose the Q2000.  It had the right blend of size and portability for what we need.  (Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research, otherwise I probably would have gone for a red Ace model!).  We've been using it almost daily since we bought it 2 months ago.  We are a grilling family, we use our grills 3-5 nights a week, even in cold weather.  It has been a blast getting to know the Q, and finding out how versatile it is.

We've become a huge hit among the other parents during the sports tournaments.  They've become huge fans of us whenever they see us pull out the grill around lunch time. 

On our camping trips recently, I rigged a smoker setup with it and smoked/roasted 2 whole chickens with it.  I also roasted some jalapenos for poppers, onions and garlic for spreading on bread, as well as the traditional burgers and dogs.  We're planning to pick up the griddle plate once our electric griddle we use with the camper has died.  (It doesn't have too much longer, either.)

I credit the Q with steering me back towards a charcoal kettle.  We've been batting around the idea of getting a smoker for a couple of years, now I think we'll just get a kettle and have that for a while as a versatile tool.

Edit:  I bought the 2000 model, I decided to save the extra $50 on what I thought I was only an inaccurate thermometer.  I didn't realize the lid was a different height.  I don't know if that is still true with the new 2000/2200 series (I assume yes) but I can confirm that hasn't slowed down the versatility for me.  I was able to easily fit two whole chickens under the lid very easily in a roasting pan.  I will get back to you guys once I get the weber roasting racks and try some ribs, too.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 06:46:59 AM by LaTuFu »
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 06:39:15 AM »
What is everybody using to lift hot grill grates? I am looking at buying a Grill Dome GRIP-1000 Gripper, what do you all think? Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GRIP-1000-Gripper/dp/B004JF60LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428025205&sr=8-1&keywords=grill+grate+grabber

Sorry to reply to this comment so late, but I thought others might be interested.

I discovered on our last camping trip that the lid grabber for my dutch ovens works just great to pick up the hot grates from the Q.  It fits right into the hole on the grill plate.

LostArrow

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2015, 08:13:48 AM »
I've got two Q's one a Q220  I got 7 years age for tailgating & a recent Q320 I inherited from my son.
Great cookers , sear better than any other gasser I've used.
Added a handle light to the 220 & painted the lid of the 300.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:03:37 AM by LostArrow »

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2015, 08:09:21 PM »
putting my 3200 together tomorrow.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
What is everybody using to lift hot grill grates? I am looking at buying a Grill Dome GRIP-1000 Gripper, what do you all think? Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Grill-Dome-GRIP-1000-Gripper/dp/B004JF60LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428025205&sr=8-1&keywords=grill+grate+grabber

Sorry to reply to this comment so late, but I thought others might be interested.

I discovered on our last camping trip that the lid grabber for my dutch ovens works just great to pick up the hot grates from the Q.  It fits right into the hole on the grill plate.

@LaTuFu thank you very much! I haven't purchased anything yet so I'm definitely going look into this.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
A cookup I did on the Q tonight.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »
A few more pics.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »
Here's a smoker setup I tried not too long ago on a couple of chickens.  Worked really well, except I put the chickens on too soon for the smoker box (under the left grate).  I needed to give the chips a little more time to burn down to the blue smoke.  They got some early white smoke, so some of the flavor was a little bitter on the skin.  But overall it worked out really well for a quick (oxymoron with smoking, I know) roast with some smoke flavor at a campout.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:35:48 AM by LaTuFu »

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2015, 05:46:59 AM »
LaTuFu,

I bought the 6 inch A-Maze-N smoking tube for smoking. You put pellets in it, light them and then put the tube on the cooking grate. The reason I like this better is that you aren't disturbing the heat flow like you do when you put a packet on the burner. I've used it several times over the last few months, and it has exceeded my expectations. Great smoke ring on ribs and perfect flavor on ribs and chicken.

Browning on your chicken looks great!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2015, 06:07:59 AM »
LaTuFu,

I bought the 6 inch A-Maze-N smoking tube for smoking. You put pellets in it, light them and then put the tube on the cooking grate. The reason I like this better is that you aren't disturbing the heat flow like you do when you put a packet on the burner. I've used it several times over the last few months, and it has exceeded my expectations. Great smoke ring on ribs and perfect flavor on ribs and chicken.

@jeffinsgf 

Thanks for that suggestion.....those tubes (& maze things ) they make are great.....

You can also use the along with charcoal, to cold smoke, or like Mossy Mo that stops by often with good looking eats where he slow smokes with the tube then fires the heat way up for a finish sear.....and you're right, the chicken does look good !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2015, 03:29:04 AM »
LaTuFu,

Jeff I saw your idea about using the tube somewhere else in here, I definitely plan to grab one. I like the possibilities with it.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2015, 01:47:09 PM »

LaTuFu, get the Weber roasting rack and roasting shield.

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
that chicken does look good.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2015, 04:58:07 AM »

LaTuFu, get the Weber roasting rack and roasting shield.

Thanks, Jack!  Its definitely on my list.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2015, 12:33:28 PM »
Here's a smoker setup I tried not too long ago on a couple of chickens.  Worked really well, except I put the chickens on too soon for the smoker box (under the left grate).  I needed to give the chips a little more time to burn down to the blue smoke.  They got some early white smoke, so some of the flavor was a little bitter on the skin.  But overall it worked out really well for a quick (oxymoron with smoking, I know) roast with some smoke flavor at a campout.

LaTuFu, Did you have the chickens on a roaster rack to make it indirect? I would love to try this method. I only have one burner control like you that's what's making me wonder how you made it indirect. BTW the chickens are lookin guuuud!! ;)