Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket On The WSM  (Read 4135 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Brisket On The WSM
« on: May 31, 2014, 04:59:13 AM »
Went out yesterday looking for something to cook and hit a highend butcher first.  He had a Angus certified 13 pound brisket with the perfect amount of fat....for $85.  I hummed and hawed then passed.  Went out to an abitoir in the country and they had brisket on for alot cheaper but trimmed of too much fat.  Got this almost 9 pounder for $37:

Trimmed of silver skin and the hard chunk of fat from the point then rubbed:

I used this on the brisket and nothing else:

It sat about an hour at room temp while the smoker came to temp and smoke got clean:

On it goes with a mix of white oak and some rum barrel chunks on top of RO Blue lump:

Smoke was clean and temp came to 248f within 5 minutes.  I will update later.  I picked up some smoked sausages at the abitoir as well so I can snack on some while I go.  These sausages are mild - I cook them on a kettle well away from coals and slowly bring them to near done then put em' just off the coals to singe up abit.

Edit:  Damn.  Realized looking at the picture that I had it fat side up!  Fixed now.  I have a bag of broad fat slices from the butcher and after a couple/three hours will be putting some of these under the brisket to guard it from the heat and hopefully keep this sucker from drying out.  I will be using cut up brown paper bags to put under and wrap the brisket at a certain point...probably after it hits 165f internal or so.  I will also probably be putting water in the pan if and when it looks dryish.  This will be only my 4th whole brisket cook with a couple partials tossed in.

Edit 2:  At the 2 hr 45 minute point I took some beef fat trimmings:

And put them underneath the brisket:

Gonna let it go another hour or so and check it then.

Edit 3:

Went fat side up after about 5 hours or so and let it go another hour or so then did this:

and this:

I do not have access to real untreated butchers paper so I improvise.  Taking a grocery store paper bag I cut out the bottom and side strip that contain the glue.  The paper breaths providing a better crust and also the paper allows smoke to get through.  I normally just wrap the butt or brisket in the paper but this time I want to save the juices.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:32:22 PM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

blackdog1101

• Smokey Joe
Re: Brisket On The WSM
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:39:46 AM »
Good luck, hope it turns out great!  A WSM is definitely on my wish list.
Performer OTS
Smokey Joe
Go Anywhere

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:38 AM »
That's not a bad price for brisket, Hoss!
Considering prices for beef and pork have been on the rise of late.  :-\ :-\
Look forward to the sliced pics.  :D 8)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Gordeez

• Happy Cooker
    • My FlickR page
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
I like the idea of putting the brisket trimmings under the brisket for some extra moistness.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 01:35:05 PM »
I like the idea of putting the brisket trimmings under the brisket for some extra moistness.

It wasn't brisket trimmings.  This brisket was too lean when I got it.  The extra fat was courtesy of the butcher at the abitoir.  If you go to a real butcher they will often have some extra fat kickin' around - I ask nice and get it when it is there.  Freezing some for later use is handy too.  Got some prime rib fat sitting in the fridge for emergencies I do.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
The brisket is still going and I got myself a pop:

and mid-cook a NIB Jumbo Joe:

detailed here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/scored-a-nib-jumbo-joe-for-35-bucks/msg108161/#msg108161

Cooked this on it:

Right now my internal on the brisket is 191f.  I gotta work in the morning and it is a little past 9pm.  Hopefully I am not up too late here.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:07:34 PM by MrHoss »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
Brisket went to 205f internal and probed like butter:

Wrapped the brisket and the pan as a whole with the brown paper till it hit 170f internal then sliced some up and headed across the street to a fellow Kettle fan's house to eat....the wife and kid went to bed long ago...I got to eat at midnight:

My friend has a superior camera and I may add some better shots.  Tomorrow...burnt ends.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »

Good Show on all the eats, man !!!!!!

Saving the juices.....good move on not wrapping completely & Dizzy Pig rub, that must have been good !!!

The dawgs & asparagus & slaw is a pretty inviting plate up, also ............. ;D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:07:51 AM »
Awesome cook !
Nicely done !

"Probed like butter"
That's a sig line right there !

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:57 PM »
Is the paper just a loose wrap,  just the one bag over the top ? How long do you keep that on .

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
Is the paper just a loose wrap,  just the one bag over the top ? How long do you keep that on .

Paper is loose.  It was cut up to remove glue strip spots and yes it was over the top in a single layer.  I put it over the meat at about 167f internal....it just had that "look".  It stayed on till the internal temp read 205f as I recall....cannot remember how long it was?  I have done this with pork butts.  Not my idea at all here - got it over at the bbq breatheren website.  The folks there are big on the butchers paper but seeing as I cannot find the untreated good stuff I improvise and use brown bags glueless.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 04:21:27 PM »
  I believe this stuff would be fine for paper wrapping.....there's red "Trimaco" builder's paper that may be treated, the brown stuff should be semi-porous & untreated:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/craft%2520builders%2520paper?NCNI-5

Enough for 80 ~100 wrappings for maybe $15

Not seen it in person,but the wife got some of the red stuff for to lay under woodworking projects & it's pretty thick & is fairly porous.....

Check Kraft paper in small rolls from an artist's supply, also..........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:09:17 PM »
Cool , I can see the theory behind it , yours looked amazing the burnt ends spot on .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs