Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Do You Segregate Your Grills?  (Read 4398 times)

BigRix

• WKC Brave
Do You Segregate Your Grills?
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:29:30 AM »
After putting many hours cleaning my SS Performer I'm not inclined to do long smokey cooks on it and dirty it all up.

I'm also thinking I won't do any high heat cooks like pizza for fear of melting my new lid bail rollers.

I don't think I want to do any seafood on it and deal with the funky smell.

I think I will segregate my grills and do only steaks and veggies on my Performer.

That way I can keep her looking like new and do the dirtier cooks on my other grills.

Anyone else do this?

I currently have have 5 22.5" grills so share the load.

Any thoughts?

Please visit my new blog!

AR180S.com

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Do You Segregate Your Grills?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
I don't bank coal against the red/blue grills.  Then again, the only black kettles I have left are the Joe's & 26er.  :D
I use all 3 Performers pretty equally on a regular basis, but the 3 legged kettles - not so much.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

edhead35

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »
They clean up well so I don't worry about it. Window scraper razor blades take it all off easily.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
In California, it is against the law to segregate your grills.  The state has an "anti segregation division" that drives around in taxpayer funded vehicles, looking into peoples back yards to ensure grills are not segregated.  Rumor has it that they are now using satellite technology (because its even more expensive) to accomplish the same goals.

Sorry for the rant, working on my taxes...

I do have one grill specifically designated for pizza, but mostly because it is set up that way.  All others get equal billing, no matter what I am cooking.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »

The older beaters & semi-beaters get the long, hard work & all these newer ones that are in the Kettle Orphanage because of WKC get used, but less intensively & are rotated in & out of sequence more often.......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
I bank on my blacks. I fuel basket on my colors. I cook everything and anything on whatever grill Im in the mood for. My red 95 had only seafood cooked on it by its previous owner for its first 15 years and one round of burgers and a new grate killed the smell and that was without a pre cook swapping of owners deep clean.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
I have learned I need to keep the younger grills away from each other, or else they breed. The older ones not so much.

I haven't been able to bring myself to cooking on some of my older kettles yet. I'm sure I will someday. I have two perfectly good "rat-rod" mid 70's kettles that I'm not concerned about ruining, so they get used all the time. Those two guys sit in the shed and tell stories to all the other Webers about their time out in "The World".
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »
I'm not too picky, but I have noticed some damage to my red SS after several high-temp pizza cooks.  If I had the space, I'd set up a designated pizza cooker using a basic black kettle. 

(and a 3-wheeler for smoking fish, and a GA for yakitori, and a flat-top 26er just for the Thanksgiving turkey, and...  )
One of the charcoal people.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:35 PM »
My go-to cookers happen to be my oldest cookers.
The black MBH "A" code is a true pleasure to cook on.
The red 18 OTG is being used and abused since restoration took place.
I can't wait to get my dedicated KettlePizza only red 22 fired up to see it turn 50 shades of .. sorry ... off topic.  :-X

I segregate my red 22 OT, and my blue 22 OTG ... but, I'm not sure why?  ??? ???
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 07:35:10 PM »
Well I guess I do. My Red S/S is my go to. It gets used plenty. Probably not the smart thing to do, but it was made to cook on. Doesn't see high heat unless I'm not paying attention. Weber therm lid temp usually around 350. 26 Brownie gets large load of wings and King Crab(when it is not off the chart expensive). Other MBH get the low and slow. Deck performer only gets used in the summer months. C&B will be the go to this summer, as Red is getting cleaning, new 7409 and a rest.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »
Sort of. I don't smoke for more than 2 hours on a kettle. I'll use my WSM for that. For smaller cook for my wife and I, I may just fire up my CGA or 18.5" OT. for most grilling though I'll use the SS. I don't really care if they'll get dirty as they are easy to clean. I also don't cook enough pungent food where the flavors may cross-contaminate.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 09:21:50 AM »
I'm an equal opportunity Grillfella..

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »
What happens if you crank the heat up real high on a colored kettle such as a red? Someone explain please.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »

Pretty sure almost all kettles are black underneath.....the Red ( or whatever) is an extra coating over that.......

At extreme heat, they're more likely to blow out the porcelain & chip......most often happens at the weld points for the grate supports inside ~~~>

but also all along the area where one would bank coals~~~>

It will happen commonly on black kettles, but as far as I can tell, perhaps the thicker coating of a color one makes it a bit more likely to happen...........

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:47 PM »
Yeah, I segregate have Webers for different jobs...

The new C&B Performer gets chicken, veggies and fruit.
The DD Performer SS smokes.
The redhead was doing chicken, but now gets the beef duties    ;D
The newer Genesis will do it all.
The older Genesis has two (7542) griddles on it for my 'flat top'.
And, the kettle gasser is for the original Weber wok, and for pizzas.
The green MBH just looks good.

Dude, relax your chicken.