Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizzahacker in SF  (Read 5911 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Pizzahacker in SF
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:46:03 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
Re: Pizzahacker in SF
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 04:11:14 PM »
That kettle looks slightly on the cool side.

Plant_City_Mike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:19 PM »
Great video!

If he can do that on the streets of SF, then we should be able to do the same at home.  Great use of a Weber!!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:29 PM »
"...made of refractory cement and pearlite using the original Weber lid as a mold."

http://www.lowes.com/pd_15879-138-35515_0__?productId=3572462

http://www.homedepot.com/p/THERMOROCK-2-cu-ft-Coarse-Grade-Perlite-489701/202187623

or....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGpnDoyci34

Somebody needs to get this figured out!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:32:57 AM »
Great video. I could not believe the line of people waiting to get pizza. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42:32 AM »
Wow, the guy is arrogant.

"I make about $5 an hour (maybe less, I don't have time to calculate) selling my pizzas for $12 to $18 a pizza. They are truly a labor of love. I mix the dough by hand, pick/can the sauce by hand. Make/transport the oven, etc. I spend more on olive oil or wood per pizza than Domino's does on ingredients for a whole pie. If you think my pizzas are too expensive, Fuck You! Please enjoy your family farm–killing, exploited illegal immigrant–built, fake cheese–laden, nutritionally void, race-to-the-bottom pizza. You deserve it."
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:42:51 AM »
I have been reading about this guy and have been doing some research on ways to utilize my SS performer to make great pizzas.  Not wanting to drastically alter my weber (like pizza hacker), I am trying to utilize the same concepts without cutting stuff up..  After a few attempts at a homemade solution, I recently bought a pizza kettle kit which gives you access to inserting/removing the pizza without taking the lid off.  I think in all my research, airflow and dome temp seem to be the concepts you need to get right.  My plan this far:

Wood chunks and charcoal in a "C" shape around the back of the bowl.

A red sky grilling stone with the opening at the back so the air flows back to front

A pizza kettle kit for two reasons - you don't have to take the lid off to get the pizza in/out, and the opening in front allows air to pass over the pizza from back to front.

In the post below, this guy came up with a great idea of using an aluminum pan to block off the top of the dome so that the hot air stays closer to the pizza, allowing the toppings to bake at the same rate as the crust.  As it requires drilling into the top of the weber, I am thinking about finding a donor lid that I can modify and use only when making pizzas.

The post below has some good ideas, however, a warning is warranted - it involves cutting up a 22" brownie.  Not for the faint of heart.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144075

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
To keep air closer to the pie I would just drill a few holes into the top of kettle pizza and add a couple of bolts for another cooking grate to rest on.  Then find a piece of appropriate tile to sit on top of that making a stone "ceiling".  No cutting up a kettle.  Of course, I don't own one so I have no idea if it could actually be done.  I've thought about buying a KP, though.  If I do get one, that's the initial approach I would use. 

Winz, I'm not clicking that thread.  No pizza is worth cutting up a 22 brownie for! 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:14:10 PM by salad »
WTB 18 fruit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »
Great video. I could not believe the line of people waiting to get pizza. Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, hipsters getting in line all over the place in the Bay Area. What sucks is that social media causes so much convergence on the good places that a 1hr wait min is typical at alot of spots.

Wow, the guy is arrogant.

"I make about $5 an hour (maybe less, I don't have time to calculate) selling my pizzas for $12 to $18 a pizza. They are truly a labor of love. I mix the dough by hand, pick/can the sauce by hand. Make/transport the oven, etc. I spend more on olive oil or wood per pizza than Domino's does on ingredients for a whole pie. If you think my pizzas are too expensive, Fuck You! Please enjoy your family farm–killing, exploited illegal immigrant–built, fake cheese–laden, nutritionally void, race-to-the-bottom pizza. You deserve it."

Hi Tim, I agree that was a little harsh after the F*** you and there is more of that sentiment around these parts than I care to admit. I will say that I used to LOVE Totino's frozen pizza growing up. The crispy crust and sweet sauce hit the spot every time. I bought one from the grocery store last year after not having one for like 10 years. I was amazed by the crap that was in there. "Pizza flavored topping", cheese substitute,  and mystery sauce. I was appalled at the ingredients or lack thereof that was in there.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
I think he was posted a while back. He doesn't have a street vending license and send out via twitter or facebook what location he will be at. But I could be wrong.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
I think he was posted a while back. He doesn't have a street vending license and send out via twitter or facebook what location he will be at. But I could be wrong.

That is correct. He has a b&m location now though.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »
I believe the same results can be achieved with a Kettle Pizza and an upper deflector like Brian did. You can just do like the PH and blow air to stoke the flames. The PH has considered mass producing these for sale.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Dude, relax your chicken.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
Very cool, Lawrence! Thanks for sharing this.

I have the KP adaptor, and I love it!!

When I got my black MBH, the charcoal grate was not in the best shape.
However, I didn't want to toss it. So I decided to modify it and use it exclusively for the KP. Works great.

I also use another grate on the upper part - some HD aluminum foil, and fire brick. Also, works great!

A much more cost effective way than buying the add-ons that the KP people offer.  :) :)

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:06 AM »
One of the ways I'm lucky in where I live is that I have amazing Pizzerias all around me.  The worst of which are still light years better than anything Dominos or Pizza Hut has ever spit out.  That said, his prices don't surprise me, nor are they that high.  A large pie at any Pizzeria is going to cost you 12 - 18 bucks depending on the type.