Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Post your "Rookie Mistake Lists"  (Read 30141 times)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Re: Post your "Rookie Mistake Lists"
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
The list is long but distinguished. BUT, I just added one to the list-
The old lady wants to make me dinner, so I insist that it must require charcoal no matter what. OK, so she goes for Stroganoff and I offer up a free charcoal lighting service and grill prep. First mistake, assuming that a half used / half new load of charcoal would provide the heat she needs. Then, after the cast iron fails to get to temp and myself frantically pacing around..... I realize..... I NEVER opened the bottom vent after last cook. LOL. So embarrassing but kinda fun too. Now we're rolling some heat!!!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »
Yep....you're in the right thread.....done that a number of times....even when it really mattered!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Red Blaze

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
Several years ago, we had some friends over for Ribs.  They were beautiful. Tender, good color, perfect pull back.  I then sauced them with a sauce my wife had picked up at the store.  I didn't notice that it said HABENERO on it.  Anyway, we sat down at the dining table, everybody picked up a rib and about 30 seconds later emptied our beer, water glasses and we were headed to the kitchen to get some milk.  I ended up washing the ribs off in the sink and put them back on the grill for another 5 min. They were still almost inedible.  I know, Gringos right.  But I learned to read the labels....
Burnin' Charcoal and Black Powder

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #93 on: October 10, 2017, 04:09:57 PM »
Just learned this lesson a few days ago. While we were away on vacation in August, my SIL came over and used my grills and smoker. No problem, he is welcome to do that anytime. Fast forward to this past weekend, and my plan to smoke some poppers for a birthday cook. Timing was short, but I knew I had time. Until this:

"Someone" forgot to clean out the smoker, and it sat for a month. Needless to say my timing was way off for those poppers, but no one got sick. Yet...

Note to self: get a hazmat suit.
Retired

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »
Just learned this lesson a few days ago. While we were away on vacation in August, my SIL came over and used my grills and smoker. No problem, he is welcome to do that anytime. Fast forward to this past weekend, and my plan to smoke some poppers for a birthday cook. Timing was short, but I knew I had time. Until this:

"Someone" forgot to clean out the smoker, and it sat for a month. Needless to say my timing was way off for those poppers, but no one got sick. Yet...

Note to self: LOCK IT UP!  >:(. I would be pissed! but its family and its... its... its... only  :-\ a grill  ???. Okay its not mine and I'm mad.
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2017, 04:28:56 PM »
I made the mistake once of not checking the fridge before lighting the grill off.

I started the chimney and opened the fridge and there was no beer in it.   >:(

@Aawa I call beer starter fluid.  ;D
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2019, 12:34:50 PM »
Revival #3

Hilarious stories fellas!   Butts in the oven, bacon on the gasser, and the leaning grill of flames are some great stories.

Thank God I haven't had any fire problems! But I've gotten the branding marks on my feet, only once never again, dam that hurt. I also won't leave a grill sit closed up more than overnight again. A lot of mold can grow in a month. And yes it's frustrating when you get the last toppings on the pizza and realize it's not sitting on the peel. A couple times I have closed the one touch and shortly after wondered why the temp is falling .

Thanks to everyone here for posting.
Text @ 419-619-6379

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2019, 01:19:29 PM »

Damn, that’s a hell of a Petri dish ! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Best regards,
Jan

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »

Damn, that’s a hell of a Petri dish ! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Lol damn!!! The other day it rained really heavy out of nowhere i realized i left the lid off one of my 18s. Go figure it still had charcoal in it. Ran out and put the lid back on. Between rain and work a week later its nice out i go to clean and organize my grill area and pull the lid, a cast iron griddle was orange with rust the cooking grate was done, and the lid and bowl were covered in mould. [emoji123]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

nvandyke

• WKC Brave
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
Mine are pretty boring.  Just a few weeks ago...lit up a chimney, dumped it in the charcoal baskets, put the cooking grate on, closed the lid and went back inside to let it all get nice and warm.  15 minutes later i walk out with a plate of nice steaks only to find the grill pretty much cold.  Never opened the top or bottom vents.  My second has already been mentioned here a couple of times...the dreaded "flip flop charcoal dump."  NEVER again!

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2019, 05:32:31 PM »
First beer can chicken, and I used too much smoke.  Poultry picks up smoke easily.  Generally, I over-smoked everything in the beginning only to learn smoke is another ingredient to balance with the others. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Too many for me to count. Mostly overcoming salmon. I can do cedar plank just fine, but if I just try it directly on the grate or even in a skillet on the dang stove I seem to over cook it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk