Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: After-market "kits", etc.  (Read 3453 times)

tito8

• Happy Cooker
After-market "kits", etc.
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
Can I add kits like the pizza oven kit and the ez smoker kit to any of the 22" series, i.e., regular kettle or one of higher end models, etc.??  I need to know before I buy a kettle.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: After-market "kits", etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:05:51 AM »
as far as I know, most 22's are the same as far as buying accessories for them..I could be wrong though
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 03:34:27 AM »
Can I add kits like the pizza oven kit and the ez smoker kit to any of the 22" series, i.e., regular kettle or one of higher end models, etc.??  I need to know before I buy a kettle.

The 22" kettle bowls and lids are all the same. Performer, One Touch Gold or Silver. Any accessory that fits one bowl will fit the others.
:)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

tito8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:39:28 AM »
Thanks to both above…  I guess my doubt was if the lid holder might get in the way of the add-on kits.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:35 AM »
yeah the lid holder will be completely out of the way, no worries.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »
The 22.5" WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) is the only odd-ball where kits won't fit, but that's a whole different animal anyways.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

DirectDrive

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
The 22.5" WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain) is the only odd-ball where kits won't fit, but that's a whole different animal anyways.
With the exception of the Cajun Bandit.
They offer two types of kits that fit either the Standard 22-1/2" or the WSM 22-1/2"
They are also due to release an 18-1/2" kit.

If shopping for a donor kettle for a conversion I would try to find an early 4 vent model for better damper control.
Combine that with the full Cajun Bandit kit and you have a rig that is very similar to a WSM.

tito8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Thanks… all this is good to know.  Just learned my son just got a ceramic smoker for Christmas, so I may inherit his kettle (doesn't have lid holder, so that's no longer a question), instead on buying now.  If so I'll definitely want to get a kit to enhance it with the funds I would have spent on a getting the kettle.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Thanks… all this is good to know.  Just learned my son just got a ceramic smoker for Christmas, so I may inherit his kettle (doesn't have lid holder, so that's no longer a question), instead on buying now.  If so I'll definitely want to get a kit to enhance it with the funds I would have spent on a getting the kettle.

How about doing a ceramic egg vs. Weber kettle battle for us?

tito8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
That would be fun… we're both novices on, he with the ceramic and me with the kettle.  I had ceramic and it fell out of the moving van and broke in about 20 pieces.  So now with retirement income just didn't want to invest $700-1000 again.  I'm looking forward to learning to do some good food with the kettle.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 02:17:05 AM »
That would be fun… we're both novices on, he with the ceramic and me with the kettle.  I had ceramic and it fell out of the moving van and broke in about 20 pieces.  So now with retirement income just didn't want to invest $700-1000 again.  I'm looking forward to learning to do some good food with the kettle.

As the owner of a ceramic cooker and kettles I find that a kettle fits most needs so no worries about capability.  In fact, I would say a Kettle is the most complete outdoor cooker you can get.

tito8

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »
 Crunch time… I'm down to deciding whether to just taking my son's used basic kettle (in good condition) or investing in one that has lid holder, table/shelf, ash container, etc..  By tomorrow, I'll have one or the other and be in business again.  I appreciate the above comments and info.  This is a great forum.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Take the freebie, from the OT Silver to the Performer once you get the coals going and the food it in they all cook the same.