Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: New Ranch  (Read 4713 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
New Ranch
« on: December 01, 2013, 05:03:47 PM »
With all the posts about Ranchs and Motherships this weekend, I figured it was time to show a few of my recent acquisition.  A few weeks back, I stumbled upon an ad for a local estate sale with a brand new extra large Weber.  After looking at the pics listed for the sale, I found the large Weber was a Ranch.  I had to stop in and check it out.

The Ranch was the first item visible in the garage.  I was there a little early and since there was a line of about 50 people ahead of me, I grabbed a number and waited.  I was quietly chuckling to myself as at least ten different people commented on the enormous kettle.  I finally got in and went to the kettle.  The charcoal grate was slightly rusty and the entire grill was dusty but did not appear to be used.  The date code on the vent was a DU (2002).The asking price was $700.  I wasn't prepared to pay anywhere near that so I talked to the individuals running the sale.  Turns out they were the siblings of the deceased owners of the estate.  They said their father purchased this with plans of using it for family functions but it sat in his shed.

Figuring I had nothing to lose, I left my "best offer" with them and left.  Later that day, I received a counter offer.  We negotiated a bit and settled on a price.  I picked it up the next day but havent put fire to it yet.  I doubt this will be my daily "go to" but should come in handy when I need to feed the neighborhood.

I replaced the plastic handles with some wood I had laying around and polished it with some steel wool. 

Interior with my fabbed version of a charcoal basket.

22" cooking grate for perspective.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: New Ranch
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
Its raining Ranches!

Nice pick up Stu! You going to fab up a 22.5" sear grate? ;D

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »
Mothership north?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
North, south, east, and west.  As you are well aware, the Ranch provides a lot of indirect cooking real estate.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Very nice G! Looks like the KR is the new 22... ;)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 05:47:52 PM »
Nice score...you traded that old one for a sweet new one....Mothership IV?  You have owned two of the four motherships at this point
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:31:13 PM »
G-
This is great.  Nice looking Ranch.  You're charcoal basket looks like it's the PERFECT size.

Toss some meat on that thing and show us some PRON!!!   8)

(BTW... Do you know what the 'empty' holes are for in the bracket near the front handle?  Mine has the same thing.)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »
(BTW... Do you know what the 'empty' holes are for in the bracket near the front handle?  Mine has the same thing.)

Mount for optional beverage holder accessory.... :).  Actually, I dont....I even downloaded the manual to verify it was put together correctly.  The holes are present on the stock photo so Im guessing that's how they come.

I may have to use your idea regarding the removal of the flip up grate on one side.  Although the flip up part on yours looks bigger. 

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:58:36 PM »
Actually, I dont....I even downloaded the manual to verify it was put together correctly.  The holes are present on the stock photo so Im guessing that's how they come.

I may have to use your idea regarding the removal of the flip up grate on one side.  Although the flip up part on yours looks bigger.

I did the same thing to confirm that mine wasn't missing anything as well.  It must have just been how the brackets are made.  Someone needs to make some beverage holders that fit there.

Yes, mine has 12-bars on each flip-grate, so it's the later style with the bigger flips.   Once you remove one of those flip-grates, you could always trim a couple extra bars off with an angle grinder if you want more room.  They could easily be tack-welded back on at a later date if needed.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
Great pick up Stu.  When do you think you'll fire it up?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
Nice score, G! Get some oil on that charcoal grate asap to curb that rust.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »
Nice pick up Stu! Stu and Sax, please share a little more detail on the grate mod and reasons why. I want all of the ideas I can get to improve mine.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 04:37:58 AM »
Thanks Duke.  Im not sure if I will do the grate mod or not but was thinking it might be nice for one main reason.....the flip up side on the older grates is smaller (and somewhat difficult to flip up which presents a problem when it is located directly over a bed of hot coals) so this would be easier to toss in more coal if needed.  I figured there is plenty of cooking real estate so I could sacrifice that area for ease in operation.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 06:04:04 AM »
Great score G!

I see a pole barn in your future.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

harris92

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
Beautiful grill. :)