Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reunited, and it feeeeels so gooooood  (Read 4037 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Reunited, and it feeeeels so gooooood
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
Ahhh, Big Red.

Way back in early 2010 I started dreaming about a big red 26" weber.
I had just recently switched to Weber products and was quickly becoming a fanboi. I owned a blue 22" performer and I loved it - but I often ran out of space. Plus I really wanted a red one to honor my father. I grew up with him cooking on a red Weber grill. I figured a red 26" would be the bomb.

I searched all over the country. It was a daily ritual, often twice daily. I started using my programming knowledge to automate craigslist searches. I even posted want ads all over the country.

In May of 2011, I was visiting friends and family in Seattle when my White Whale popped up back home, or at least, near enough to home. It was posted on Milwaukee's craigslist, but was actually in Elkhorn. I would be passing through Elkorn on my drive home from the airport. This was meant to be! I emailed the seller right away and told him flat out that I would buy it and pick it up in 2 days. I was so freaking excited. About 10 minutes later, the seller responded and told me that there were 2 people in front of me and both sounded very sure that they were buying it. I was absolutely crushed and nearly in tears. I asked the seller if the buyer's name was Jeff - the seller was amused because the person who bought it asked if a person named Jeff had inquired as well. The seller received 30+ responses in the few short hours of the post being live. I didn't know Jeff very well back then - but he certainly had a reputation.

Just a few months later, another popped up. This time in Wisconsin Rapids, WI - a mere 4 hours away!! I hinted to my wife about canceling all of our weekend plans to go site seeing in Wisconsin - but she seemed rather skeptical. I posted a plea on facebook looking for anyone to take a road trip with me. One of my friends replied right away telling me that he was actually IN Wisconsin Rapids at the moment camping with his family. DESTINY! I had him pick the grill up for me. The seller informed me that she had dozens of responses from Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan.

When Big Red arrived at my house a few days later, I was amazed at how HUGE it was - and also how beat up it was :(
One side handle was smashed in completely against the bowl. The bowl was bent there and rather soft. Two of the 3 leg sockets were also severely bent in. There bottom of the bowl had suffered severe crazing and lost so much porcelain that it looked like someone shot it with a shot gun. The lid had massive chips and one spot that looked like someone hit it with a steel rod. The top handle was bent down at a 45 degree angle. The inside looked like it was used as a trash burning fire pit. I knew I had my work cut out for me.

I spent the next several nights cleaning it inside and out. After 10 hours of work, it was clean and most of the dents were fixed. I found a super high heat red paint and painted the big chips by masking everything and spraying. I fixed the HUNDREDS of smaller chips with a tiny paintbrush (spraying paint into the lid and applying with brush)

By the end of the project, I had logged a solid 16 hours or more. But it was worth it.

Fast forward to July 2013 - a little over 3 months ago.
I was moving to California. I was broke and forced to purge most everything. I didn't even know if my new home in California would have ROOM for a grill or if I'd be able to use it!!
I whittled my collection down to 2 grills. My modern 26" - and my red cajun bandit (that uses the red 22" that was my Dads).
My two babies - the red 26 Aristocrat and baby blue 22" imperial fell into the hands of one of my best friends - Brian O'neal.

A few days ago, the Big Red 26 arrived on my door step. Brian gave me an opportunity to get it back - and that's one of the coolest, most noble things anyone has ever done for me.
Thanks Brian.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Reunited, and it feeeeels so gooooood
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:01:21 PM »
That's still an awesome grill and what a restore job you did! Pretty sweet that Brian got you back in touch with it. Grillfellas forever!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »
Whats kinda cool - I only used it a few times.
I'm paranoid about the daisy wheel vents and embers falling out (almost burned down my parents house when I was a kid because I was playing with my dads one-touch system after he grilled)

Now my back patio is F'in BRICK - so i don't have to worry (much) about embers falling out and killing my family in our sleep!!!!

WOOOO

Btw, I grilled frozen lasagna on it tonight.

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Great story and an awesome rescue / restore.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »
awesome story, good to have your baby back.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »
Great story, glad its finally back home.  Nice job Brian.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 04:26:09 AM »
Outstanding! Kudos to you Brian.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 05:02:46 AM »
I was happy to get that back to Troy.  It's funny in the entire time I had it I always referred to it as Troy's Grill.  That was his baby and he loved it, even though I know it's something cool and collectible I figured he should have it back.  W made a nice trade and its back in his hands.....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:09:00 AM »
Great story and I'm glad you got your grill back Troy. Good teamwork!

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »
That is a cool story, thanks for sharing that. It does just seem like that grill is now where it belongs.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
Why didn't you just put it on eBay?   :P

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 06:32:32 AM »
Great grill and cool story.

And for someone asking about thumb screws in a recent post, I see this one has thumbscrews.
kettles, smokers...

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
massive kudos Brian
you truly are a gentleman
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:12 AM »
That's fantastic!  Brian is a great guy to deal with on every level. If anyone hasn't bought some of his handles or had some other interaction with him you are missing out.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Reunited, and it feeeeels so gooooood
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
Awesome Troy! Glad it's back home with you!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer