Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My first SS!!  (Read 5097 times)

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
My first SS!!
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:40 PM »
Not sure if I got took or not. Thanks for the help earlier also!! Got this one off craigslist in nashville. It's an EE and it will definitely need a few new parts and I think it's missing the thermometer. Other than that and a good cleaning it looks pretty solid!! I'm happy so far just anxious to crank this bad boy up!!

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
My first SS!!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
Few more after I started cleaning it up and taking it apart....it's got one ding and rust spot on the lid and that's about all of the rust I think.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My first SS!!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:26:53 PM »
As I said earlier, I have those type of blades if you have a hard time finding them elsewhere.  Let me know.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:32:30 PM »
I guess when they said the sweeps were rusted, they meant gone    :o

Did they cut you a deal? Never mind, doesn't matter. It's yours and they're easy fixes. Did you fill the tank on the way home?    ;D

Welcome to the SS Performer.

Enjoy the restore and enjoy the ride. You're gonna love it.

Dude, relax your chicken.

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
That will clean up nice.  8) You can add parts at anytime, but it will be ready for action almost immediately. The burner tube looks toasted, but they are available. I don't suppose you fired it up yet, but you can always use a single cube starter in a chimney and it will work great. (If you don't have a chimney - get one! It's arguably the most useful tool in the charcoal grillers arsonal.) The baskets look good to go. maybe a new top grate? Even the OT system can wait - I almost always run mine wide open unless I'm trying to save coals after a cook. I wonder if the top handle is a replacement? Mine has the grooved handle in both locations - like yours on the SS lid. No matter, you'll want some exotic wood soon enough.  ;)

Have fun, and take more pics along the way.

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
How do you get the bowl out?  Obviously, there are the 4 bolts but I'm wondering how to disconnect the gas assist system.  Do you just wiggle the ignitor tube out of the bowl or is there another connection in the gas line that you take off besides the quick connect at the tank?
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »
Here's a view of mine - and the new burner assembly/tank/regulator that cost me a total of $90 as I recall.

There's a small clip a the end of the burner tube that holds it to the gas line. (kind of a C-shpaed clip you see ahead of the brass fitting in the photo) A screwdriver will pop it off, then the bowl will come out along with the burner tube. Once it's off you can see if the bolts holding the burner tube bracket can be unbolted, but I'm guessing you'll have to hacksaw them off like I did.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:20:41 PM by MartyG »

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
Ah, so it is that clip that holds it in!  I had a feeling, but it just looks like something that I can see myself unclipping and it would go flying into the Bermuda triangle of my garage =/
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
No I didnt make a deal. I just thought what the heck, maybe I can replace anything thats missing. I do love it. I went to my dad's shop and took it apart to clean. The bowl is caked so i am going to try the oven cleaner hopefully tomorrow. I also broke that H bar thing under the bowl trying to get that off. It was almost rusted in half. Are all of these parts available? I saw the ash blades on weber.com but are these other things available? Thanks lighthingboldtz!! I will let you know. I didnt get a chance to fill the tank since I was flying home to do some cleaning on it.

Am I correct in saying it is supposed to have a thermometer in the handle? Thanks for all the comments. I do love it so far!

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
That H-bar thing is the tough thing to find, but there are others on the site that may be able to reproduce that. The blades you see on Weber's site are not the right ones if you use the H-bar style mount, but there are other workarounds, like attaching the ring to the leg sockets using hose clamps - then you can use the more widely availabbe blades. Plenty of threads on the topic if you do a search of "Performer restore" or something like that. Take it slow and keep asking questions. We're here to help, and we've all been in your shoes.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
My first SS!!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »
You can go two routes on the sweeper. If the bar that holds the ash pan is salvageable you can get a #7409 from lightning and be in good shape. I think Brian also sells the ash sweep bar.

Or you can get a newer H-style sweeper and attach the ash ring with wire or some type of support to the leg sockets.

We're did come from to get the SS? I think your the closest to me in Nashville. I keep a good eye on Craigslist here, let me know if your looking for something and I will agent it or send you the link.
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:16:53 PM »
My dad is a welder so we will just weld that back together. I came from Ardmore on the AL TN state line to get it in Franklin.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
Here are the blades that I have. Not new but in really good shape.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

bmwhitt

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:20 PM »
Looks great lightning! PM or email me and hope we can work something out! Thanks!