Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redhead SS Performer Restoration  (Read 8578 times)

cesar980

• Smokey Joe
Redhead SS Performer Restoration
« on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:17 PM »
I just picked up this Redhead yesterday. Needs some work. Vent shows code EZ. First time at restoring, I need some pointers.
Needs a good cleaning, what can I use for cleaning all parts with damaging?
Needs new ash cleaners completely rusted.
Needs new star nuts for bottom tubes, rusted as well.
Needs new ignitor system.

I have lots of work to do,  Help!!!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 04:58:07 AM by cesar980 »

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Redhead SS Performer Restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
Lots of good performer threads here, search S/S performers and you'll find everything you need , if not just ask , tear it down and see how bad your tubes are first if their sound everything else is easy .
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: Redhead SS Performer Restoration
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
Welcome, Cesar, and congratulations on owning not only a wonderful icon of Americana, but what I consider the height of the Weber arts.  Can't wait to see it all cleaned up and ready to go. 

I had to smirk at the description 'good condition' as I tried to reconcile that with the CL photo they posted of the ash can falling off, etc..  ;-)  But it is certainly a good price (I waited for over a year to pay $100 for my red SS), and everything looks fixable.  Like Idahawk said, carefully take it apart and we'll help you get it back together.  I generally favor leaving the bowl attached until you've gotten all of the hardware removed from the bowl, but if your frame is coming apart it might be best to get the bowl safely removed and get the frame secured.  Hopefully the horizontal frame tubes aren't themselves rusty, and you'll be able to get some new star nuts in there.

Best wishes!  Let us know how we can help you out.
One of the charcoal people.

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 07:33:47 PM »
Nice.  I picked up my Red SS Performer in 2009 and paid $65 with a full propane tank.  I had to replace the one touch system as well as replace the grates, igniter, thermometer and a few other small parts.  Someone on the TVWBB forum gave me a new bracket that holds up the ash pan that they had just gotten from Weber.  I was very grateful for that as mine was very rusty.  Here is a picture of it after I cleaned it up and replaced everything.

Wayne 

cesar980

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »
Here are some photos of damage this Redhead has....

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 06:38:35 AM »
Cesar - while it may look a little scary, that's actually not that bad.  Needs work, yes.  But not catastrophic.

Read this link especially page 3 where Brian lists the $19 shipped fee and his contact info for the new ring support bar.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/okay-who-is-really-interested-one-one-of-these/

A new ash sweeper can be had for ~20 bucks off of ebay.  Search for part number 7409
Just cut the handle off the old one and toss the entire works in the trash can.

The regulator & igniter is a mess. 
I know Weber still has the burner tube assembly (#10401 $20.08) and the igniter button (#40826404 $10) available.
I didn't ask if they still had the hose/regulator assembly (#62642)

You might have to dump a hunnert bucks into it, but she'll be good to go for a decade or better. 
If you need any assistance - just ask.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
Yeah, that battery-operated igniter has got to go.

And of course you could also convert the One Touch mechanism to the modern "H" design and use a new ash can holder frame. You'll see that mentioned several times here. (As for myself I bought Brian's ash bar and will endeavor to keep my new "7409" assembly clean for as long as I can.)

Jeff had info about a quality replacement regulator if you need one:

Mr. Heater

Propane Low Pressure Regulator
3/8" female pipe thread X restricted flow soft nose P.O.L.

1/2 PSI output
75,000 BTU capacity
model F276136

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Propane-Pressue-Regulator/dp/B000BQUQEI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361665260&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+heater+propane+low+pressure+regulator+f276136

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Heater-F276136-N-A-3-8-Female-Pipe-Thread-Propane-Low-Pressure-Regulator-/400417022073?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3ab6e079
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

cesar980

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 09:19:46 AM »
Wow!! Lots of great info!! Thanks!! I knew I came to the right place!!! Hope to start working on her soon.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
Yeah, Cesar, have faith-- it will come together pretty nicely, I think.  And yes, you are in the right place.  If you're not completely crazy, get ready to become so.  ;-)

I'm wondering if you need a new burner tube, though.  Looks like the Weber ignitor is still in place, so I would imagine a new one would fit in there just fine. 

The nice thing is that Weber currently has a free shipping code (check the Trading Post for that info), so you shouldn't feel like you need to get your complete parts list all together at once.  Maybe just order the ignitor and see if it will work with your current burner tube.  Of course you'll need a new regulator to make that work, unfortunately. 

Best wishes, and let us know if you have any specific questions. 
One of the charcoal people.

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 05:35:33 AM »
Weber still has quite a few parts left for the SS Performers.  Just something to check out.  I had ordered parts for my Performer recently and I was surprised what they had in stock.
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

mikeinctown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
most parts are universal and have been replaced with updated parts.

For example, if you need a bottom bowl you'll get the updated 2005 performer bowl with the leg sockets made to accept the new ash ring. (or if you need an ash ring, you get the new one and Weber says you need the modern bottom bowl) The lid bale assembly has the newer style rollers, so it will fit the newest grills as well. Everything else is pretty much interchangeable, from the burner tunes, to the grates, to the nuts and bolts.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 02:55:14 AM »
I just picked up this Redhead yesterday. Needs some work. Vent shows code EZ. First time at restoring, I need some pointers.
Needs a good cleaning, what can I use for cleaning all parts with damaging?
Needs new ash cleaners completely rusted.
Needs new star nuts for bottom tubes, rusted as well.
Needs new ignitor system.

I have lots of work to do,  Help!!!

Did you ever post pics of your completed project? 
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 03:24:26 AM »
Joe,

On a thread this old, your best bet is to hope his email is still valid and ping him with an "at" sign in front of his handle, like this:

@cesar980

cesar980

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:42 AM »
@captjoe06. No i never got around to restoring this grill. Its still sitting in my backyard unfortunately. :(