Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another painted over yellow found...  (Read 4833 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Another painted over yellow found...
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:30 PM »
Picked up a couple clearance sear grates @ HD today (thanks for the heads up, Thin Blue Smoke!)... took one over to my younger brother, as he's been wanting one for awhile. I remember that he'd mentioned finding a yellow lid a few years back that had been spray painted. I had thought he said he'd tried to get the paint off, but was unsuccessful.  I asked if I could see it.  So he pulls it out of the back of his shed... and it's a not just a lid, it's the whole kettle (a 1978)! He was walking thru his neighborhood and found it on the curb out w/ someone's trash.  Talk about a score!

He actually did a decent job getting most of the paint off of the lid; hasn't worked on the bowl too much. Also, the vents are painted. We now know how to go about removing the paint (lacquer thinner... thanks, Tattooedant!). Hoping that lacquer thinner will remove the paint from the vents, as well.

Unfortunately for me, he's not willing to part with it, but I'm excited to help him restore it. He's a very busy guy (young kids, and a teacher), and my schedule's been crazy, too, so I don't know how quickly we'll get to it, but plenty of pix will be taken, and I'll definitely be there for the first cook (w/ the sear grate, of course)!

Here are the few pics I took (the lighting is not great... trust me, this is the brilliant yellow we know and love):

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:45:43 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Another painted over yellow found...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
Wow, I see a gallon of lacquer thinner in your future.....Why do people like to crap up these yellows, this is the third yellow we have seen painted.....Mine was at least painted yellow......

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:03:48 PM »
Looks great! I think the black helped keep it in great condition. Lookinf forward to the restore pictures.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 02:59:14 AM »
Good work Bob, I'll be watching to see how this turns out
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:49 AM »
That is awesome! Plus it has the ashpan...I have no idea why people paint them, but thankfully the WKC is here to undo these atrocities ....make sure to use that lacquer thinner outside...have fun! can't wait to see it cleaned up.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:25:28 AM »
look forward to seeing the cleaned up pics!  It looks like it might be pretty nice under there.  Someone must really have not liked yellow.  Their loss!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:36:55 AM »
Cool find....not sure why someone would paint over a yellow that looks to be in such good condition.  That paint will come right of with some thinner and steel wool. 

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:48:12 AM »
Very cool! Looking forward to the update pics.  It is pretty funny that they painted it black. I guess there are a few other people that like the black kettles! :)

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:58:53 AM »
That's funny, but a nice find. I can't wait to see it finished.

timleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 05:59:55 AM »
That is something my wife would do...paint black over yellow

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »
I agree the paint seems to protect the grill.  I just painted my wood dale fuscia hopefully it will stay nice....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »
I agree the paint seems to protect the grill.  I just painted my wood dale fuscia hopefully it will stay nice....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Nice Brian
Kettle collector AND cooker!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
There's you're colored wooddale Jeff!
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
Nice yellow.... it does seem strange that they are being found in a painted state. I wonder how many more are out there masquerading as black or green or even red kettles..  :-\

Brian...... you got it all wrong.... to give your Woody that extra bit of pizazz, Lavender or Lilac is whats hot this year.. Fuschia is so, like, last year!

:P

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 11:02:53 AM »
R R R

Regarding the paint "protecting" these grills, I think whatt sometimes  happens is people dump some paint on them, try to use them once, then discover it was stupid so they sit, preserved and un used.