Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Adding an Ash Pan to my kettle  (Read 4458 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Adding an Ash Pan to my kettle
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:55:59 AM »
I plan on adding Gold Ash pan to this,

talk to me about any issues I would have, it is a 1995 kettle.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Adding an Ash Pan to my kettle
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »
If the leg brackets are the same as my 2012, it'll slip right on.i just added one to my Budlight. Remove one-touch handle, slip assembly in place, replace one-touch handle and done.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:57:42 AM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »
If the leg brackets are the same as my 2012, it'll slip right on.

They probably are not. 

LB, if you are using a new ash pan, you will need to decide how to fasten the ring to the bowl/legs.  There are several methods.  The least invasive is the hose clamp method, which wraps the clamp around the leg socket and ash catcher ring.  There is also the dremel method, in which you will cut notches in the leg socket to accept the new ash catcher ring tabs. I would not recommend that. Another method is drilling in to the leg itself and attaching the ring tabs via the screws.

If you search on "hose clamp" I bt you find photos.  When I get a chance I will search soem other threads for you.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 11:03:13 AM »
If the leg brackets are the same as my 2012, it'll slip right on.i just added one to my Budlight. Remove one-touch handle, slip assembly in place, replace one-touch handle and done.

mr bill, the design and method of attaching the rings and buckets changed about 10 years ago or so.  Newer kettles, like yours will accept these just fine, bit older ones like LB's are not a direct fit.  In the old days, there was a bar that was held in place by the ash sweeper tension which held up the ring.  Now, as you know, they simply clip in to the slots on the leg sockets..

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 11:30:49 AM »
I will have this same issue when I receive the parts for my conversion of the red 18 - P code.

Great info G$! I will most likely go with the SS hose clamp method. But, I won't rule out drilling either.  ??? ;)

Thanks for this thread. Keep us posted ... with pics, please! Thanks.  :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:58:31 PM »
Good info G$. I wasnt sure if they'd be the same or not.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of the dremel cut myself - but i guess it depends on how far out of alignment the welds are.

some kettles only need a little cut, while others need to cut almost all the way through the weld flap.

The last one I did only needed one cut, and it was very minor.

my cajun bandit needed 3 big cuts - but it was OK because it wasn't going to sit on the leg sockets anymore anyway.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
I have always used the hose clamp method, though I saw a post here recently where a guy had used three screws.  Not into the leg socket, but just below it right into the softer and more rust-proof leg.  It was a really clean fix (he also cut off the tabs on the ash can ring so they wouldn't get in the way).
One of the charcoal people.

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:38:55 PM »
I used heavy gauge solid aluminum wire to hold up the ashring to the leg socket. It is very inexpensive and functional, and of course being below the bowl (which is also below the table level), it is really not very noticeable.
Uncommon sense seeker

G$

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: Adding an Ash Pan to my kettle
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
I have always used the hose clamp method, though I saw a post here recently where a guy had used three screws.  Not into the leg socket, but just below it right into the softer and more rust-proof leg.  It was a really clean fix (he also cut off the tabs on the ash can ring so they wouldn't get in the way).

I also saw that method and really liked it Mike.  I think there may be a pictute in one of the links I posyed above.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:43:34 PM »
i found this picture i had been thinking about that cbpeck used on his retro fIt:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:52:09 PM by G$ »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 04:55:42 PM »
i found this picture i had been thinking about that cbpeck used on his retro fir:

I like it! It's clean looking and has the bonus of holding the legs in place.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Craig

• WKC Mod
Adding an Ash Pan to my kettle
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
I might have to try that.

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »
Thanks for posting that up, boys! This retrofit has held up well, and I would do it again. Although I will say that I wish I had done a little bit better job of aligning the ash ring with the bottom of the bowl. The fit is really close, but not quite as high & tight as I'd like it.