Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: This will not help my OCD tendency to Weber-check the curbs in my neighborhood.  (Read 2635 times)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Driving home after school carpool this morning, I spied this little number right after turning into our little neighborhood.  EZ code, and exact match for my beloved red gasser that awaits a full restoration.

The grates are gone out of it, but the burners and flavorizer bars look to be in great condition.  Overall, the outside is really dirty but the grill doesn't seem to have been cooked on very much.  The table surface you see is the flip-up front table that is unhinged.  And there is some funky wheel thing going on where the OEM wheels have been replaced by these cheap ones, which have worn or melted down to squarish atrocities (srsly, I sounded like Fred Flinstone pushing this thing the three blocks to my house).  Then the other legs have been covered over with some larger square tubing in place of the casters, which gives the whole grill a pronounced lean. 

I'm thinking I'll use this as a 'donor grill' as I make my repairs and presumably need to replace various parts that I break in disassembly.  Maybe swap out the burner tubes and mechanicals.   Plus the firebox and the sides of the lid are missing a lot less paint than on my grill.  And of course I'd be happy to share the parts with anyone who doesn't mind paying for shipping.

Anyway, just another example of the gratifying, non-technology, old-school possibility of finding great Weber stuff right in the middle of your life.
One of the charcoal people.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
This will not help my OCD tendency to Weber-check the curbs in my neighborhood.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »
Can't beat free mike! If you can take two and make one great one then the cost of pushing it three block was worth it!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Bman

• WKC Performer
Outstanding!  I grabbed a few of them this spring and it's handy to pillage the best parts from a few in order to create a good one.
Then, I was able to send a box of parts to Idahawk to assist his restoration.  (in return, he had Zavod sent me a couple handles) Win-Win-Win
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Well I'm putting Bman handles/table on this one  ;-)

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
It fired right up once I attached it to some gas.  Then I broke it all down and put the greasy parts into a bin of degreaser and water for a nice long soak. 

Think I'll keep the burner tubes, which seem really nice and working very well.  Prolly use the frame on my previous EZ, since it's in better shape.  And the hardware and bowl and sides of the lid are in better shape, too.  So I should have some decent parts to share soon. 

Bman

• WKC Performer
That's awesome.  Once I'm finished with what we talked about this evening, I'll get to ripping some redwood.  :D
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
I know, I know, it's not a kettle, but it's still a Weber!

The truth is, this grill has sentimental value, and I've been meaning to get it restored for a long time now.  Finding the twin to use as a 'donor' grill gave me some impetus, and the seventh anniversary of our son's death this past week gave me a goal.  It still needs the wood tables, and the handle is just a placeholder for one in redwood by top-notch carpenter Bman, but I can at least cook on it now.  Though it's so clean inside that I might not be able to pull the trigger for awhile.  ;-)

Many thanks to Bman for his expert advice on prep and paint and general gasser know-how. 

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Great restore Mike - I look forward to seeing it when I pay you a visit. Agree some grills have a special place in out lives and deserve this level of respect. I need to spend some time with mine now that you've set the standard. Bman had a hand in mine too, (a new black lid) so it's like they'll be brothers.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Looking good so far.  I always see this style and wondered what went in that spot on the lid, now i know its a thermo!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Looks great Mike, must feel good to have this one up and going.

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Outstanding Mike..... Well for a gasser  ;D
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution