Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber lighter cubes - first time  (Read 4171 times)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
Weber lighter cubes - first time
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »
I have never used these, but I wanted to give them a shot. I am away from home, and I didn't feel like springing for a chimney. I assume one cube below a pile of charcoal is sufficient. How long do they burn and how quickly do the coals light up.
Mike

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber lighter cubes - first time
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:48:26 PM »
I usually use 1 or 2 for a full chimney and it takes 15 minutes of so before the charcoal is ready. Very easy way to start charcoal and no mess left over
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 05:01:14 PM »
I use mine with the chimney and found 1 cube to be sufficient. For the $, the convenience is worth it to me. I cut up the package into 6 packs of 6 to make it more managable to store and carry. The foil they use on top is kinda cheesy and not very strong if you  carry them around like I do.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »
You carry those in your pocket L? :)
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
You carry those in your pocket L? :)

Yeah, didn't you see that "All-Terrain Performer" in the other thread?

...rugged, individual type he is..... ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:50:10 PM »
We don't get the Weber branded ones. I use either Jiffy or Redhead and they work great. A full chimney will get 2 under it to get it happening.

I can't load the pictures of Tapa.

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 09:51:35 PM »
I am a big fan of these cubes.  They are a good value when cheap at home depot.

I use them all kinds of different ways, but probably the most common is to relight a pile of spent charcoal right on the grate.  I put ONE cube in an indentation of used charcoal, light it, and come back 10 minutes later to add new coal and go from there.  As long as you have enough coal and cather it umder and around the cube, it will light right up.

The work great in a chimney of course, and i know others who use them to even start a minion style burn in the smoker. 

Net: i light charcoal using all kinds of methods, and these cubes are just another (good) way of doing it! 

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 09:54:29 PM »
I cut up the package into 6 packs of 6 to make it more managable to store and carry.

Crap. I  only get 24 in a pack and you get 36? 

(by the way, my bbq battle box has a special spot for these)

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 10:09:56 PM »
We also have the RapidFire charcoal grates which makes it easy to start the charcoal without the chimney right there in the kettle.

Sent from another planet using Mental Telepathy.

If it breathes, we can cook it!

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »
Thanks - will give them a try later today. Have a pork loin marinating in maple syrup/mustard. They were cheap - got them at Walmart for like 3-4 bucks.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
Cubes all the way! I usually use 2 with a full or 3/4 chimney, but could probably get away with one. I hate using newspaper because of the blowing ash/embers. The cubes are a necessity IMO.  ;)

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:31 AM »

Cubes all the way! I usually use 2 with a full or 3/4 chimney, but could probably get away with one. I hate using newspaper because of the blowing ash/embers. The cubes are a necessity IMO.  ;)

The blowing paper is why I wanted to try them. I am a little far (1200 miles) from my performers :)

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 06:39:30 AM »
The cubes work so much better for me where I'm at.  We're at the high point of our town, up a long a little mountain and it can get windy as hell some days.  I tried to use wadded up newspaper but it was constantly blowing out or having to keep refilling more sheets of it.  Just 2 of these little cubes for a full chimney and they handle the wind better and get me going in about 15 minutes.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 06:59:18 AM »
I have not used these yet.So with a chimney,do you put these things on top of the coals and light them?
I assume that they are paraffin and will drip burning wax down into the pile of charcoal. Or am I off base?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jeff J

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2013, 07:04:11 AM »
I have not used these yet.So with a chimney,do you put these things on top of the coals and light them?
I assume that they are paraffin and will drip burning wax down into the pile of charcoal. Or am I off base?

You put them in the lower chimney chamber same as the wadded newspaper. The produce a high enough flame to get the coals started from underneath.