Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 1214 times)

pulop_cat

• Happy Cooker
need advice
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:31 AM »
Trying to choose a grill for my yard and get lost in the selection. Gas or electricity? Which is more convenient? what to look for?
http://claz.org/classifieds/for-sale?q=weber+portable+gas&o=2
http://claz.org/classifieds/for-sale?q=weber+portable+electricity&o=2
I don't see much difference in price, so need advice on additional features
Thanks

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 06:25:06 AM »
Hi. pulop_cat
 & welcome here...... ;D

Most everyone uses the charcoal Webers around here, but I know some people have the models you're looking at also.....maybe they'll check in & give a review............

I do not, but have seen the propane ones in operation & they seem like they work really well.....

My perspective is that the propane (LP Gas) one would be a bit better, because then you could take it with you pretty much anywhere, vacation & such & not have to be concerned if electical was available.......just have some extra gas cannisters with you, if you wanted to do a lot of cooking............ :)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

vader06

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 06:46:55 AM »
If I were to choose it would be the LP Gas.  My Dad has one and he is very happy with it.  My Dad travels a lot in there large motor home and it is convenient for him.
When I visit him we usually cook out on his grill.  I take over for grilling because he is just not good at it.  He is a meat flipper and  he is one of those guys that smashes down the burgers on the grill with the spatula.  Anyways go with the LP model.  You will not be disappointed because it is a Weber.     
Genesis Gold B, 18" WSM, 18" Yellow, 22" Blue OTG, 22" Lime MBH, 22"  Black SJ, Black Jumbo Joe Platinum and Red 22" LE.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:15:05 AM »
Hi, Welcome!

I think that real fire is better than no fire so gas is much preferred over electric imo. The Q comes in three sizes, 100/200/300 series, and some have features like a thermometer, shelves, and cart.

Here are a few questions for you to consider.

-Do you need to travel with your kettle? If so, a Q is a great option. If not, then a genesis may be a better investment. You can also rig up a large propane tank with an adapter hose if you have one.

-What is your budget? I see you have posted on classifieds. Great gassers can be found at any price range but usually the Q's are less common. Even more so for the ones with bells and whistles like shelves and the cart.

-Are you willing or able to put work into a bbq? The cheaper full size gassers can cook well but are usually a few years older. They still last a long time. Be careful of models where the burners are not available. In general, the burners, grates, regulator, igniter, and flavorizers are the parts that *might* need replacement.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791