Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: CL Score! - SS Performer  (Read 5334 times)

AZ_MIKEY

• WKC Ranger
Re: CL Score! - SS Performer
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »
congrats on the score of a great looking SS performer.
Looking for--- a yellow mbh any size, sequoia ( I know I am dreaming), avocado any size, brownie any size.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 10:08:57 PM »
Congrats on the burgundy SS Performer. That looks like a perfect SS Performer.  Yes I know that's redundant.  :D

My burgundy has a prime location on the covered patio.  Protect her from the elements.  Sortof.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:11:04 PM by javahog2002 »
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:23 PM »
Okay, I picked the new performer up.  Typical CL story...they got a new gasser and are throwing the old charcoal grill out.  It was a young couple who said they got it from the girl's parents.  It is a DD, from 2000.  She is pretty decent shape, but it's clear I've got some work cut out for me before I can start grilling on this beast.

I turned on the gas and held down the ignition button and...nada.  Smelt a little propane so I turned the valve off.  So I guess I need to buy a new igniter for this thing?  Is that normally the first place to start trouble shooting these things?  The gas tube into the bowl looks pretty rusty too.

This will definitely be a cooker and not a looker, so everything doesn't have to brand spanking new shiny, but I want it to be solid and reliable.  Any help and guidance on what to buy and where to start would be appreciated.  :)

Some pics...

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:55 PM »
Sweet!  After restoring a couple SS's, I'm pretty sure you won't have to purchase any ignition parts to get t running.  I went into mine with the same thoughts as you and ended up not placing the order from Weber. 

You can tell from the gas line pic it's full of shit inside.  Take it all apart, clean it out, run sandpaper over the tube and that part will be ready for action.  Same with the igniter.  Clean the contacts with sandpaper, put the wires back on the button, and hold the other 2 wires in your hand.  Push the button.  If you feel "it" you'll know the igniter is fine.  :)  My non-working 98 SS was just like you described and a simple cleaning got it reliable like it was new.

Good luck with the restore and have fun. 
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
Sweet!  After restoring a couple SS's, I'm pretty sure you won't have to purchase any ignition parts to get t running.  I went into mine with the same thoughts as you and ended up not placing the order from Weber. 

You can tell from the gas line pic it's full of shit inside.  Take it all apart, clean it out, run sandpaper over the tube and that part will be ready for action.  Same with the igniter.  Clean the contacts with sandpaper, put the wires back on the button, and hold the other 2 wires in your hand.  Push the button.  If you feel "it" you'll know the igniter is fine.  :)  My non-working 98 SS was just like you described and a simple cleaning got it reliable like it was new.

Hold the wires in my hand and press Ignite?  haha, that sounds like a trick to play on the new guy!  anyways, thanks for the advice, I was thinking I need to clean that tube out. 

Also, will the weber performer cover fit these older SS frames?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »
Chad is correct on this.

Here is a post from my SS rebuild:

Touch N' Go Gas assist repair

Sorry no pics here right now, but here is what I did to fix my igniter.

First I made sure that the there was still propane. I could feel the liquid in the tank, hear it when opened, and use a match to light the burner tube. But my igniter didn't work.

Here is my igniter fixing flowchart:

0. Make sure the igniter button isnt wet.

1. Is there liquid propane still in tank? Shake it lightly and feel for it.

2. Connect all the lines.

3. Are you getting good propane flow through the tube, and regulator? Open the valve on the tank. you should be able to hear the tank hissing when you open it and smell the propane. DO NOT STICK YOUR HEAD IN THE BOWL. If you don't hear the hissing or smell, close the valve. There is another brass valve parallel to the regulator hose. Make sure that little valve handle is open (pointing parallel to or along the hose). If you don't here hissing still your regulator is probably shot.

4. Try to ignite the flame with the igniter push button or a match. If the igniter button works, great! But it probably won't. If the match works you can skip the tube cleaning step 5,  but it is still useful.

5. Clean the burner tube. To begin fixing the gas assist pop off the clip at the end of the igniter tube. Removing this tube by taking off the igniter ground wire / element and loosening the tube clamp with a slotted screwdriver or wrench will make this a hell of alot easier. You dont need to remove the clamp. Just loosen it and pull the tube into the bowl. You can't pull the tube out without completely taking off the clamp because of the flat end that is wider. Look inside the tube. Chances are there will be ashcrud and cobwebs in it. Clean this all out with water. You can also use sandpaper on the tube to make it nice and shinier again.

6. Test the igniter. remove the igniter button assembly if you haven't already. Hold the igniter wires in one hand and push the buttton with the other. IT SHOULD LIGHTLY SHOCK YOU like static on a doorknob so if you easily yell expletives make sure there are no kids around. If it didn't shock you, your piezo is dead so buy a new igniter. If it shocked you, we can fix it! Take some sand paper and lightly sand the igniter tip until it's clean bare metal. It's pretty stout but be careful not to break it. Also make sure that the ground wire and bolt is not escessively rusty or you may not get a good connection. Mine was moderately rusty but it still worked.

7. Reassemble and retest. Everything should work now. If not, sell your performer and buy a big green egg.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
Nice walk-through gummi!

This thing will be grilling me a ribeye soon...I know it!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 06:56:11 PM »

Hold the wires in my hand and press Ignite?  haha, that sounds like a trick to play on the new guy!  anyways, thanks for the advice, I was thinking I need to clean that tube out. 

Also, will the weber performer cover fit these older SS frames?

LOL! Like checking a 9volt battery with your tongue... :o
Do the PBE method. Guranteed the tube is full of stuff. Take an air hose to it and clean it out. It is not getting a good spark and enough air/propane for combustion.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:59:28 PM by glrasmussen »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »

Yeah, pretty easy to see that yer full of shit there......the tube I mean.....the tube is full of shit..... 8)
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"