Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Where do you put the chimney?  (Read 4679 times)

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
Where do you put the chimney?
« on: April 04, 2024, 02:52:26 PM »
So i was looking on some FB posts and came across a topic that I never thought would spark debate. It was almost 50/50 on where you light your chimney. So question for the masses here, do you light it on the grill grate or the cooking grate? I use the grill grate and hang the cooking one off the side, but never just lit the charcoals on the cooking surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

Chesapeake Weber

• WKC Brave
Re: Where do you put the chimney?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 03:05:33 PM »
Charcoal grate.  Not sure what sense putting it on a cooking grate makes when you’d have to pick up a lit chimney of coals with one hand and then pick the cooking grate up with the other hand, then dump lit coals into a SnS, basket, or directly on the grate, then situate the lit coals again with one hand because the other is still holding the cooking grate. That is unless you already put the cooking grate down so you can work with two hands.  But then you are where you should have started in the first place.  Cooking grate to the side, light chimney on charcoal grate, dump, place cooking grate, have fun. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 03:05:37 PM »
I have 3 chimneys, haven’t used them in years.  My deck and feet are thankful for that.  Used to use a large paver on a concrete pad behind the house, but after if cracked into multiple pieces from the heat I went to other methods.

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 04:15:29 PM »
I like a cinderblock stand. I especially link the ones that @View to a Grill (YouTube -Johnny) has. His dad built them customized.

But bottom charcoal grate works wonderful and you don’t have to clean before cooking.

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 03:08:28 AM »
My best answer is use the charcoal grate from the grill you’re cooking on or have a spare grill nearby. The one problem is what to do with the cherry red basket after you dump the coals. I usually have to go out in the yard and find some non flammable surface to put it on and then I forget about it. I think a few of us around here might have a spare grill. Even a Smokey Joe would work. I never use the cooking grate unless it’s some kind of emergency. It’s just unnecessary wear and tear plus dirt to clean up before you cook. One feature of the SSP was a grate hook that seems to be missing from the new models. I swear I saw instructions somewhere to hang the cooking grate off the kettle somewhere to arrange and light the charcoal I honestly don’t think I’ve even seen instructions to light stuff on the cooking grate. It makes no sense. I do love the SSP hook, I use it all the time. It works great when you’re in the middle of nowhere and don’t want to put the cooking grate on the ground.

So simple answer, use the charcoal grate or have a secondary backup like Bama said with the concrete block. The fact it breaks up over time should let you know it’s too hot for a cooking grate

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2024, 06:33:21 AM »
I have always lighted mine on the charcoal grate.

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 08:09:52 AM »
Charcoal grate

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2024, 08:48:41 AM »
under and around the charcoal
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2024, 10:18:32 AM »
I've always set it on the charcoal grate. Put it on the ground or the rack under the grill to cool.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

Cellar2ful

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2024, 11:40:20 AM »

I set my chimney on the charcoal grate of an old beater SJ.  It's an old rusted "O" code but works perfect for this use.  It contains any dropping hot embers and gives me a place to set the hot chimney after dumping the ashes. 

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

Babekyu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 12:38:12 PM »
Charcoal grate.  I would then put the chimney on the gravel path adjacent to my deck to cool.  Since I moved, I still put the chimney on the charcoal grate, but now I put the hot chimney on the concrete pad that the bbq is on.
Weber Spirit Gasser/Weber Kettle 22" Black (AA-2011)/Weber Performer Black/Weber SS Performer Red Mist (EE-1999)/26" Master Touch Smoke Grey/Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Black - 3"casters/unknown bbq hinge/lavalock vent handles (4) - Sold

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2024, 02:18:22 PM »
I'm in agreement and, frankly, am curious why the answer wasn't obvious to everyone.  I take off the cooking grate, set my chimney on the charcoal grate and when the coals are ready, dump them either into my Slow n Sear or my Vortex.  The I simply set the chimney down on a concrete paver to cool off while I put the cooking grate back on and get ready to cook.

I can't imagine lighting it on the cooking grate.  Why would you do that?

Also, @BamaKettle, just curious as to your lighting method since you've given up on chimneys.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2024, 05:43:22 PM »

I'm in agreement and, frankly, am curious why the answer wasn't obvious to everyone.  I take off the cooking grate, set my chimney on the charcoal grate and when the coals are ready, dump them either into my Slow n Sear or my Vortex.  The I simply set the chimney down on a concrete paver to cool off while I put the cooking grate back on and get ready to cook.

I can't imagine lighting it on the cooking grate.  Why would you do that?

Also, @BamaKettle, just curious as to your lighting method since you've given up on chimneys.

BD
@Big Dawg When I began experimenting with kamados I learned that all charcoal doesn’t have to be lit and flaming hot at once.  I enjoy building the fire as much as cooking… Different methods of cooking require different amounts of heat and I find it interesting to start a fire on one side of a slow n sear or in the middle of a pile depending on the type of grill or setup of the Summit or kettle.  So, I usually use my FlameKing torch and refillable cylinders which takes about 15-25 seconds to get some coals lit, then adjust vents to get desired results, bringing temps up slowly.  I really don’t enjoy carrying a fully lit chimney of coals or pouring them out while on my deck.  It was a stressful part for me so I eliminated it.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2024, 03:46:41 AM »
At the beach a few years back......no issues on the pool deck.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2024, 11:33:37 AM »
@Big Dawg When I began experimenting with kamados I learned that all charcoal doesn’t have to be lit and flaming hot at once.  I enjoy building the fire as much as cooking… Different methods of cooking require different amounts of heat and I find it interesting to start a fire on one side of a slow n sear or in the middle of a pile depending on the type of grill or setup of the Summit or kettle.  So, I usually use my FlameKing torch and refillable cylinders which takes about 15-25 seconds to get some coals lit, then adjust vents to get desired results, bringing temps up slowly.  I really don’t enjoy carrying a fully lit chimney of coals or pouring them out while on my deck.  It was a stressful part for me so I eliminated it.

I get what you're saying.  I've never had a Kamado.  Also, it may make a difference that I only use the small Weber Chimney.  So I will usually take one load and dump it, cold, into the either the SnS or the Vortex, then I'll load it up again and get those coals going.  After I add them to cold ones, I let it run for a minute to get up to temp.

To each his own . . .

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna