Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: “Reverse Sous Vide”  (Read 5231 times)

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
“Reverse Sous Vide”
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:35:48 PM »
Hadn’t done this in a while but somewhat asked me to do it.

9lb. Pork butt, 4 hours cherry wood smoke on the kettle, and putting in Sous vide 14 hours more hours @ 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: “Reverse Sous Vide”
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 05:00:49 AM »
Looks interesting!  Following along….

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 05:17:22 PM »
Thanks, sir. Final pics….turned out grate!!! Cuts down on active cooking while getting the full 3 hours of smoke

I would consider putting back on for an hour of smoke to harden/dry the bark a bit. Flavor and tenderness AMAZING.

4 hour on kettle at 200-275. Sous Vide 10 hours at 165 and then 4 hours at 140. Delicious.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2023, 08:58:37 AM »
Thanks for the details on your results.  One of my favorite parts of a good ole pulled pork sandwich is the borderline crispy bark with all those good seasonings married to the natural juices from the roast - also my first worry when I read about this method was losing the bark.  Always fun to try new things though and improve our methods. 

Cheers!

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2023, 09:19:21 AM »
Agreed Greg, the bark is something to attend to. Coming out of the Sous Vide there is no crunchiness. I thought about putting back on the kettle to firm/crunch it up after Sous Vide but didn’t do that Saturday. I’ll let you know next time (soon). I may do a 2 hour 225 smoke, 12 hour Sous Vide @155 and finish with 2 hours @ 275 on kettle for the bark. More to follow.