Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Seafood on a Soapstone  (Read 8809 times)

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Seafood on a Soapstone
« on: September 22, 2023, 05:10:30 PM »
Not a Weber cook…. But - I thought some might appreciate a new method.  Shrimp and scallops on my Kamado Joe Jr using a soapstone.  Stone up to 500F, olive oil on and seafood dusted with Red Lobster seasoning.  Fast cook and very tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Re: Seafood on a Soapstone
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 05:35:50 AM »
Looks very nice!   I’ve heard good things about the kj soapstone.   Smoking Dad Bbq YouTube channel is a good resource for kj and he loves the soapstone.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 10:09:46 AM »

Looks very nice!   I’ve heard good things about the kj soapstone.   Smoking Dad Bbq YouTube channel is a good resource for kj and he loves the soapstone.   

Thanks Michael, I was surprised at how the seafood didn’t stick much to the stone.  It’s thick, heavy and takes quite a while to heat up.  It holds heat very well though, even after putting the cold shrimp on its temps did not fall at all.  Fun to cook using different methods and accessories.[emoji16]

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 12:07:00 PM »
Try searing a steak with it. 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 12:09:54 PM »

Try searing a steak with it. 

Yes, that’s definitely on the list!  Heading south to the island tomorrow, Jumbo Joe and Go Anywhere in tow… will experiment more with this later.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 01:32:52 PM »
Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 05:17:41 PM »
Sweet cook Greg

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 12:55:18 PM »
Thanks Michael, I was surprised at how the seafood didn’t stick much to the stone.  It’s thick, heavy and takes quite a while to heat up.  It holds heat very well though, even after putting the cold shrimp on its temps did not fall at all.  Fun to cook using different methods and accessories.[emoji16]

Yes, I would assume that a stone that think would hold onto heat for quite a while.  In college, I cooked pizzas 2 big, gas fired, slate bottomed pizza ovens and those things would stay nice and warm.

Did you have to season them to get the non-stick properties?

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 01:35:52 PM »

Yes, I would assume that a stone that think would hold onto heat for quite a while.  In college, I cooked pizzas 2 big, gas fired, slate bottomed pizza ovens and those things would stay nice and warm.

Did you have to season them to get the non-stick properties?

BD
I did season the stone before, but the oil pretty much burned off for this cook before introducing the seafood.  Probably not needed, but when things are new I like to burn them in.  Looking forward to a steak sear on this stone soon.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 07:12:08 PM »
Killer looking plate... instantly craving some shrimp!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E