Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Meater +  (Read 2539 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Meater +
« on: August 13, 2023, 10:15:04 AM »
After a decade of using my trusty Maverick thermometers, I took a shot at a meater plus wireless thermometer because I had an Amazon gift card. 

Curious to know if anyone else has tried one.   My first cook was a little frustrating because it kept losing connection.  The insulation in the Summit is the likely cause.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 12:20:24 PM by michaelmilitello »

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Meater +
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 12:33:53 PM »
I’ve had a MEATER+ for almost 3 years and really like it.  Ambient temps aren’t always spot on but protein temps are usually pretty close.  For connection… probe to block, block to iPad, iPad to internet, internet to iPhone.  I keep the block next to the grill, my iPad just inside on the dining room table which is not far from my router.  Works perfectly and I can monitor temps anywhere with my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

blu082003

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 06:45:28 PM »
I’ve also had my MEATER+ for 2-3years, and I have the summit Kamado. I’ve really enjoyed it. Not sure if you ever watch smoking dad bbq he has some good tips and tricks for it. I usually always have a device close to the case so it stays on the Wi-Fi and rarely lose my connection

https://youtu.be/ND7GLjQJxqg

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
I’m not a fan. I used it a dozen times or so before giving up on it. The ambient pit temp was wildly inaccurate compared to ThermoWorks signals. The meat temp always registered higher so the meat was not done when meater indicated it was. Unless one needs it for rotisserie cooks, I like ThermoWorks products (smoke or signals) much better.

kcsmokinribs

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 04:27:35 AM »
I used my Meater + once and kept losing connection which was very frustrating. I need to give it another chance at home with the set up Bama mentioned. Just can’t see using that set up at a BBQ Competition.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 06:10:00 AM »
I used my Meater + once and kept losing connection which was very frustrating. I need to give it another chance at home with the set up Bama mentioned. Just can’t see using that set up at a BBQ Competition.

It’s not abundantly clear that the base has to stay close to the probe.   For $100 you don’t get a user manual.   It’s all electric.  I’m kinda old school.  I’ll actually read the manual. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk