Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'll see your pizza....and raise you two.  (Read 4799 times)

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
I'll see your pizza....and raise you two.
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Since everyone has been posting pics and stuff about pizza I thought I would join the party. Made 2 pizzas today.....they came out perfect! The crust was crunchy on the bottom and chewy in the middle. Sorry I seem to have forgotten to take a picture of the second pie after it was ready to come off the grill but it came out the same as the first only smaller.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:03:14 AM by One Touch Platinum »
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
I'll see you pizza....and raise you two.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:20:43 PM »
Nice looking pies!

"my kettle is more powerful it will do almost anything."
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
Re: I'll see your pizza....and raise you two.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 06:53:53 AM »
The setup that I am using now to make pizza works so good I can almost make great pies now with my eyes closed. I would sell this pizza if I had a way ( a shitload of Weber kettles ) to make a lot of pizzas and if I go back to making my own dough, which I plan on doing. I love the results of using the dough from the pizza place down the street but want to go back to making the whole thing from scratch. My Wife and I like the taste of the dough she used to make....but stopped making after something went wrong with it once and we started using dough from down the street.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

Killer Pies !!!

What kind of pan is that 1st one....looks shallow, like it was made for this....?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 01:39:26 PM »
Yes, it is a cast iron pizza pan from Lodge. I use it as a griddle for other stuff too....like burgers etc. I love the way crust comes out on Cast iron.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Those look great! I need to try elevating the pan the next time I make pizza in my kettle.
kettles, smokers...

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:09:12 PM »
Those look great! I need to try elevating the pan the next time I make pizza in my kettle.

It WILL make a difference in the way your pizza turns out. The top will cook faster so the whole pie will get done at the same time and no more burned crust with unmelted cheese or uncooked toppings. As I said in another post, pizza is one of my favorite things to cook on the grill. As far as the cast iron goes....I am a huge fan of the stuff.....I have dutch ovens, all size pans etc. They are perfect for cooking on a grill and as it turns out they are great for baking breads and pizzas. ;D

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 08:39:21 PM »
Looks really good!! Whats your charcoal setup/arrangement? Ive been doing pizzas for a little bit but have been struggling to perfect it.

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 06:27:57 AM »
I use a full chimney of charcoal, I spread the coals out into a circle around the bowl...no coals in the middle. As you can see in the pictures I raise the pizza up off of the grate. The heat will circulate all around the pizza without burning the bottom of the crust. I do not preheat the cast iron pans...I just put them on cold to the very hot grill.....something you need to avoid if you are using a stone! I judge when to take the pizza off by the color of the bottom of the crust...I take a spatula or tongs and lift the edge of the crust up and peek at it. I will pull it when it starts getting golden and then take it off or out of ( depending if I am using the pizza pan or a skillet) as soon as I can so the crust does not continue to brown or burn since the cast iron will be VERY hot.  I used to do the indirect method for pizza but the way I do it now I do not need to do anything to the pizza once it goes on the grill....no turning or fussing and it will bake even. I use the same setup for some other baking items like, Cheesecake or German pancakes etc.....I still use indirect for baking something in rectangular pan....since the ring of fire method would bake the ends too fast and burn them by the time the rest of the cake or whatever was near being done.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 04:08:53 PM »
@One Touch Platinum I have a question for you, if you are still doing pizzas this way.

Have you ever used the CI pan for multiple pizzas? Wondering if starting off with a hot pan would put the subsequent pies in danger of overcooking the bottom.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »
Man that looks great - last pizza I made the bottom was black as a brand new 26er!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »
Great looking pies and info! Thanks for the post, seems like I could do pizza now, without the kettle pizza attachment

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 07:04:30 AM »
Going to give this a whirl tonight.  I'm guessing it's not a good idea to cut the pizza while it's still in the CI pan?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 10:06:32 PM »
@One Touch Platinum I have a question for you, if you are still doing pizzas this way.

Have you ever used the CI pan for multiple pizzas? Wondering if starting off with a hot pan would put the subsequent pies in danger of overcooking the bottom.
@addicted-to-smoke having used CI for a bit i would have to say that the crust would be over done if put in a hot pan,if you cooled it some or have another pan to rotate (hey any excuse to buy more CI!) as you do pizzas.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Rick S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 01:12:22 PM »
I have a very similar 13" CI pan. All I need are new holders and I'll try this.

I also have a brand new Broil King 3/4" thick 15" pizza stone, but the CI pan may be better for this.

Do you put cornmeal or anything on the pan before the pizza? Do you turn the pizza while cooking it like those ketlepizza guys do? This looks like it could beat kettlepizza, and for a lot less money. 
Weber 2015 Performer Deluxe, Weber 2001 WSM 18.5 and a Wilmington Grill 2005 Cape Fear.