Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Major grail score (in the wild)  (Read 2514 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Major grail score (in the wild)
« on: June 29, 2023, 12:28:05 PM »
First off, shout out to @mattlillis73  as he is the one that found this grill and turned me on to it....back in Jan of 2021.  Yes, I never pursued it until recently, if you recall a lot was going on back in 2021 with lock down etc. So, in April this year, Matt(who is a UPS driver) txts and says, that MeatCut is still there (Pics in the wild) Mind you, the location is not right around the corner and I never go that way.  Matt attended the meetup and we discussed this and the ebay auction so it was then I decided to do it.  So Saturday June 17, I loaded the dog up, and a brand new 70th Anniversary kettle and took the trip. Knock on door and a lady answers, sheepishly I explain that I am interested in the Orange kettle that is sitting outside in front of the garage.  She said it was her husband's grill and he was gone for a few hours, I offered her one of my premade sheets 1 to pass to someone who answered the door, the other was to leave in case no one answered.
No call that weekend, no call all week or the following weekend.  Monday June 26th, on my way to downtown Detroit to get a Mint Simpsons 22 (Pic below), I get the call. I was so distracted and excited I missed my exit and ended up on the one way to the Ambassador bridge to Canada.  The mint Simpsons ended up being a well used Simpsons Joe, but what was a wasted trip is now not wasted. He is 10 minutes from Detroit, I say I will be there in 10 min.  Initial conversation, I have nothing but money to offer, he wants stuff, he is intrigued by the Weber but he wants to replace his electric smoker so we talk about pellet grills, which I have one. He wants to walk away and discuss via txt and meet up later in the week.  He told me he did his research and knows he has something of value.  I think we have a prelim offer of a pellet grill for the meat cut but he has some concerns.
Talk Tuesday afternoon, he expresses concerns with a used pellet grill so I have a black nothing special Happy Cooker I say tell you what, I will throw this in to sweeten the pot.  He likes it but says he will get back with me. He comes back with the pellet grill AND the NIB 70th.  COMON man BOTH?, I did a lame attempt at a counter offer but I knew he was settled so I asked him what color, Blue or Yellow, Blue.  OK done deal we are set to meet 5 PM on Wednesday.
Wednesday morning he texts me with a pic(Pic below) of the recent one on Ebay and says I need to come to the table with some or he will pursue other avenues.  I told him the grill that he was looking at was almost mint, his is not and selling online can be a pain in the arse.  I said if he wants an easy deal and about $1000 worth of BBQ stuff my offer still stands.  For 2 hours I was heart broken,  until I get a text back that he felt like a D1<&Head doing that and that he teaches his boy to be man of his word and he would accept the original deal.  I was there at 4:30 not 5, I showed him how to use his new pellet smoker and I helped him put together his brand new Weber.  Really nice guy(Pic of him and his new grill), I asked for the back story, not a lot of drama, he got it for $15 at a second hand store 10 or so years ago.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 03:48:27 PM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Major grail score (in the wild)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »
Could not have  happened to a nicer guy, so very happy for you @LightningBoldtz

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 01:39:45 PM »
I remember that one, great score

Sent from my SM-S908E using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 01:52:27 PM »
Very cool story and a wonderful find.  Enjoy!

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 02:07:01 PM »
Wow! What a story. Congrats!

AnyThingGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 02:27:48 PM »
Congratulations! A great find and story to boot!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 04:42:27 PM »
Congrats Jeff and great assist Matt!   You two are a good team! 

Gringo

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
Congrats!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2023, 07:13:04 PM »
Love it … grate score !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2023, 10:12:35 PM »
Congrats! Great score and great story!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

getlego

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2023, 03:34:52 AM »
Grate find ! I love the story. Thanks for writing that up. Beautiful score.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2023, 03:42:10 AM »
BooYah! Very stoked for you!

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2023, 03:44:17 AM »
That was quite the roller coaster ride.
Congrats on the Meat cut Jeff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 05:22:15 AM »
One for ages in WKC lore for certain!   Congrats, Jeff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieGirl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2023, 05:53:20 AM »
What a roller coaster, but you overcame! Congratulations!