Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hanger or flat iron  (Read 335 times)

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Hanger or flat iron
« on: March 01, 2023, 03:09:13 AM »
First time making one of these. I’m not sure if they are the same cut or different or which one I got. I ordered hanger steak from my local butcher but flat iron was written on the package. So let me know if anyone recognizes this cut. They were excellent either way. I thought it was similar to try tip in texture and flavor. I reverse seared with a chunk of cherry in the coals. My daughter made cauliflower and cheese in place of Mac and cheese. That was really good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Hanger or flat iron
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 03:28:47 AM »
Looks really good and keto friendly.  I’ve eaten more cauliflower in the past 8 months than I’ve eaten in my entire life lol but 180 feels much better than 210.  I googled hanger steak v/s flat iron and it seems they are similar but different cuts.  Both are highly regarded in every source I found.  Before I became a grill fanatic my wife used to cook flat iron steaks in a cast iron skillet letting the steak rest while sautéing mushrooms and onions in butter and brandy.  Good stuff.  Your mushrooms look great too….always a complimentary side for steak on our table.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 04:59:32 AM »
It looks like flat iron to me.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Hanger or flat iron
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 05:07:35 AM »
Is that a Lodge carbon steel skillet you’re using for the mushrooms?  If so, how do you like it compared to regular cast iron?

Good looking meal, BTW

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 05:50:02 AM »

It looks like flat iron to me.

Thanks. I think so too.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 05:52:03 AM »

Is that a Lodge carbon steel skillet you’re using for the mushrooms?  If so, how do you like it compared to regular cast iron?

Good looking meal, BTW

It’s great for sautéing. Cast iron is better for searing and frying IMO.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 05:56:04 AM »

Looks really good and keto friendly.  I’ve eaten more cauliflower in the past 8 months than I’ve eaten in my entire life lol but 180 feels much better than 210.  I googled hanger steak v/s flat iron and it seems they are similar but different cuts.  Both are highly regarded in every source I found.  Before I became a grill fanatic my wife used to cook flat iron steaks in a cast iron skillet letting the steak rest while sautéing mushrooms and onions in butter and brandy.  Good stuff.  Your mushrooms look great too….always a complimentary side for steak on our table.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

The cauliflower farmers must be busy. It’s popular these days.

I could eat sautéed mushrooms everyday.

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 04:42:10 PM »
If you paid for Hanger steaks and got flat iron then you need to ask for a refund. It's not the same.

Jules V.

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 12:34:05 AM »
That got me awfully hungry but definitely appears to be flat iron.
These are how hanger steaks typically looks like.  Second photo with the center connective tissue/membrane trimmed off.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »
very nice meal, cooked to my tastes, and a great plate shot. i can smell it from here.