Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Looking for new grill set-up/seasoning help  (Read 561 times)

bonehead762

• Happy Cooker
Looking for new grill set-up/seasoning help
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:12:07 AM »
Just bought a Weber Master Touch for my brother as a surprise. I've been smoking meat for a couple decades but i haven't been very good at grilling. But my brother needs something to grill and que with so i wanted to surprise him with this. However, I was hoping you Weber experts could help me with assembly and to season/break it in for him. I'll take it to him when I visit him at the end of March.

Any tips for a Weber newbie?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 11:14:17 AM by bonehead762 »

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
Re: Looking for new grill set-up/seasoning help
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »
When I asked this as a total newbie to Webbers coming from an offset barrel, they said not to bother because the enamel doesn't need it.
I did a long slow smoke with the entire stack of Webber, smoker riser, & roti, just to get it all "set up" anyway.
I put some brats, bacon & representative meat scraps of pork, beef & so in to get it "back to my old BBQ". I didn't intend to consume any of it but the brats & bacon just smelled so good & scarfed down the lot!
I have found that the build up that "seasons" the old barrel does not "stick" to the Webber enamel, so it may have been a waste, but if nothing else it got that "new Paint & mold release agent" smell out of it.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 07:15:23 PM by Stoneage »

bonehead762

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »
Ok. Nice. Thanks.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 05:32:43 AM »
Ok. Nice. Thanks.
Looks like a "Cajun Bandit" Set-up???/

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »
I don’t see a point seasoning the inside of a charcoal grill. I’ve seen folks on YouTube coating them with vegetable oil and then burning it off, which makes no sense to me. Vegetable oil has a smoke point of 400F. If I were to get the grill up to high heat to sear a steak, this ‘seasoning’ would just burn right off.

Instead, I keep the inside of my grills clean by washing them out every other cook or so with the garden hose, some Dawn soap and a plastic bristle dish brush. Takes 5 minutes and doesn’t have to be perfect, just mostly clean, or clean enough to avoid having a dumpster fire. Here’s my Jumbo Joe, I’ve done maybe 50 cooks on it and I bought it used.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 08:47:55 PM by stillgriller »
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 11:12:08 AM »
Good advice... seasoning is not really necissary on a grill, but can help slightly with temp control on the low end. On a smoker like a WSM its a good idea IMO.
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

MoparProud

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 12:44:03 PM »
The only thing you do is fire it up and let it get up to temp and burn off anything that may be in the grill or on the grates. That’s it.

I don’t wash the inside either. I do wash the outside occasionally and need to try the 0000 steel wool to scrub some clean. I don’t scrape inside the bowl either. And the only cleaning the grates get is up to temp and brushed before next cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 02:28:25 PM »
Yeah, the only thing that I've ever worried about with a Weber was getting that "new car smell" out of it before the 1st cook.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna