Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Struggling with the Smokey Joe  (Read 274 times)

GermanTex

• Smokey Joe
Struggling with the Smokey Joe
« on: May 13, 2022, 05:00:43 PM »
I have used my various 22” kettles for years without any issues. But I am having trouble to keep my Smokey Joe at high temps. I have tried different coal from lump to Weber briquettes and Kingsford Professional briquets which normally burns very hot. Started up in a chimney starter till glowing hot but they will die down as soon as put the lid on. All vents open. I cannot maintain temps north of 500 with the lid on to grill some meat short and hot. I tried it again tonight and it did not work. I get much higher temps on my Q1200 gas grill.
The reason I wanted to use the Smokey Joe because i like grilling on charcoal but I want to use less coal for just 4 burgers. Am I doing something wrong?
The SmokeyJoe is the one with the vents at the bottom. The Simpsons model I was able to snatch up a few years ago.
Plus the meat gets a bad taste when the grill is not that hot and fat is burning on the charcoal.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:08:14 PM by GermanTex »
Green 22" Perfomer, Red 22" One Touch Platinum, Blue 22" Kettle, Yellow Simpspons Smokey Joe, Pink Q1200, Blue Platinum C.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Re: Struggling with the Smokey Joe
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 05:07:03 PM »
Have you tried B&B Charcoal? Was a game changer for me and I have the Premium with side vents.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

GermanTex

• Smokey Joe
Struggling with the Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 05:11:11 PM »
No not yet. I will have to give it a try.

Green 22" Perfomer, Red 22" One Touch Platinum, Blue 22" Kettle, Yellow Simpspons Smokey Joe, Pink Q1200, Blue Platinum C.

avega2792

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 10:19:48 PM »
Keep the lid cracked to increase air flow.

MANCHAS2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 06:32:00 AM »
I have used my various 22” kettles for years without any issues. But I am having trouble to keep my Smokey Joe at high temps. I have tried different coal from lump to Weber briquettes and Kingsford Professional briquets which normally burns very hot. Started up in a chimney starter till glowing hot but they will die down as soon as put the lid on. All vents open. I cannot maintain temps north of 500 with the lid on to grill some meat short and hot. I tried it again tonight and it did not work. I get much higher temps on my Q1200 gas grill.
The reason I wanted to use the Smokey Joe because i like grilling on charcoal but I want to use less coal for just 4 burgers. Am I doing something wrong?
The SmokeyJoe is the one with the vents at the bottom. The Simpsons model I was able to snatch up a few years ago.
Plus the meat gets a bad taste when the grill is not that hot and fat is burning on the charcoal.
Any advice appreciated. Thanks

I had the same problem; so, I purchased a SlowNSear Plus a few years back to use on my Weber Performer Deluxe Grill which maintains a very high heat with very little charcoal when doing Direct Heat Grilling.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 06:33:47 AM by MANCHAS2020 »