Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 26” Kettle and fuel  (Read 593 times)

briancpearl

• Happy Cooker
26” Kettle and fuel
« on: May 03, 2022, 07:15:57 AM »
For 26” kettle users - how much charcoal do you use when starting? The main thing I haven’t been able to adjust to (from 22” - 26”) is being able to get and keep the kettle hot enough for roasting. I’m finding that many times a single chimney of charcoal (briquettes) isn’t quite enough. Right now I’m thinking of buying a 2nd chimney, but I thought I’d ask here first. Thanks!

Cellar2ful

Re: 26” Kettle and fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 07:46:22 AM »
I tend to follow Weber's recommended guide for charcoal use.  Here's a useful guide from Weber I use to refresh my memory as I suffer from CRS (can't remember shit). It even breaks down the difference in charcoal use between regular briquettes and Weber briquettes if your lucky enough to have some or can still source them.  If your using Kingsford blue bag the answer would be 40 per side for indirect and 80 for direct. 

« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 07:48:37 AM by Cellar2ful »
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 07:49:45 AM »
It is a grate reference, just finished my annual physical and I too have CRS, no prescription to fix it and I wouldn't remember to take it either.
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

ASpitzer

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 08:12:19 AM »
Thanks, that is a nice reference chart. Very useful information/reminder.
1957 Wood Dale Demo, MLH Mothership Ranch, 1980 Smokey Joe Black, 2014 Smokey Joe Black, 1992 Master Touch Green, 2022 Original Black, Glen Blue 26 in., 70th Anniversary Hot Rod Yellow

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 11:18:15 AM »
I know I talk about this setup a lot, but it's the best I've tried on a kettle..... for a 26" I use the slow n sear xl with drip n griddle xl with a full chimney of B&B coals.  I can tune the grill to virtually any temp I want between 200F - 425F by adjusting the air vents.  I really enjoy cooking at roasting temps with this setup for things like meat loaf, meat balls, stuffed mushrooms, jalapeno poppers and of course you can do chickens or turkeys as well.  It's also a great setup for using  a cast iron dutch oven or skillet and being able to move it over the fire and back to the cool zone.  I do chili, hot dog chili, beer brats and sausage/onion/pepper/ rice recipes this way too.  For low n slow, ribs, pork butts and roasts are a breeze.  My SNS rarely leaves my 26er.... Maybe for large burger cooks when I like the heat spread out a bit more.

captainhook455

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 11:21:59 AM »
Anyone been to Dollar General this week. Buy a box of Kingsford starters and get a free bag of charcoal.

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »
I know I talk about this setup a lot, but it's the best I've tried on a kettle..... for a 26" I use the slow n sear xl with drip n griddle xl with a full chimney of B&B coals.  I can tune the grill to virtually any temp I want between 200F - 425F by adjusting the air vents.  I really enjoy cooking at roasting temps with this setup for things like meat loaf, meat balls, stuffed mushrooms, jalapeno poppers and of course you can do chickens or turkeys as well.  It's also a great setup for using  a cast iron dutch oven or skillet and being able to move it over the fire and back to the cool zone.  I do chili, hot dog chili, beer brats and sausage/onion/pepper/ rice recipes this way too.  For low n slow, ribs, pork butts and roasts are a breeze.  My SNS rarely leaves my 26er.... Maybe for large burger cooks when I like the heat spread out a bit more.
A full chimney in the SnS XL is the way to go.  I also use my DnG with it often;  but when I want higher temps or am not worried about temps at all, I drop the DnG tho.  The downside of that is drippings in the bowl.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
26” Kettle and fuel
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2022, 12:22:32 PM »
The biggest difference between the 22 and the 26 is air flow. Bigger grill same size vents. If your struggling to get temp up, crack the lid at least until you get to your desired roasting temp. Once it’s there you can close the lid and leave the top vent open and it will hold. I usually add a mostly lit full chimney to probably a half of chimney of unlit or used coal already in the grill.  It maintains a 350-375 temp pretty easy that way.

An sns is just more metal to heat up IMO. I haven’t needed anything but heavy duty foil as a drip pan and charcoal banked for roasting.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 12:26:03 PM by HoosierKettle »

leeharvey418

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2022, 12:23:26 PM »
The downside of that is drippings in the bowl.

That's what aluminum foil is for!
2020 26" OKP; 2006 Q 200 Silver; 1997 Red Mist SSP; 2000 22” Plum OTG; and I'm gonna call it a 1975 Smokey Joe

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 12:39:28 PM »
I'll stand by my SNS recommendation.  I will not bank charcoals on my Glen Blue or '75 Aristocrat.  Tried that on my LE and it crazed my porcelain.  Best of luck with your method, whatever it may be and post often!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »

I'll stand by my SNS recommendation.  I will not bank charcoals on my Glen Blue or '75 Aristocrat.  Tried that on my LE and it crazed my porcelain.  Best of luck with your method, whatever it may be and post often!

I’m using an 11 year old black 26. No damage yet but I whole heartedly agree for taking precautions on collectible grills.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2022, 02:49:48 PM »

I’m using an 11 year old black 26. No damage yet but I whole heartedly agree for taking precautions on collectible grills.

All good, I recall you saying you are a cooker, not a collector so that makes sense.  I’m both…. And I’ve got a beater or two also that I leave pretty much to fate.

briancpearl

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2022, 05:16:25 PM »
For those of you using the SNS XL. I’ve got one of those that I used for a couple of high-heat cooks (higher than smoking temps) and my bottom grate warped. I assumed it was from the concentrated heat in the SNS, but maybe not? Anyone else had anything similar to that happen?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2022, 07:34:14 PM »
For those of you using the SNS XL. I’ve got one of those that I used for a couple of high-heat cooks (higher than smoking temps) and my bottom grate warped. I assumed it was from the concentrated heat in the SNS, but maybe not? Anyone else had anything similar to that happen?
I have 3 SnS.  My bottom grates have not warped.  Interestingly enough, I have had warped charcoal grates, but those were pre-SnS grates and warped when I used char baskets.  When it happened, I would  put them on the ground, flip em over, and stand on them to straighten em out.

IDK why the newer ones I have now have not warped yet. But it is common for charcoal grates to warp over time.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
26” Kettle and fuel
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 03:39:35 AM »
My sns low profile warped on the bottom, too.  Doesn’t effect performance. 

For my 26, I use the same amount of coal as a 22.  I don’t see much difference.   Maybe it takes slightly longer to cook some items.  I’ll add more coal if I really need more heat.   Cracking the lid as [mention]HoosierKettle [/mention] says will give you another 25+ degrees and helps in the speed of warm up in the winter. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk