Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roto temp control  (Read 798 times)

TXFlyGuy

• WKC Ranger
Re: Roto temp control
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 03:23:13 AM »
We are able to hold just about any temp desired. When doing a rotisserie, a modified snake is used. But the fire is started on each end so there is even heat on both sides.

If all vents are wide open, yes, it can shoot right past 400. But with bottom vents closed and top vent open, 250 is rock solid. I think how you build your fire is as important as the vent settings / air intake.
2021 Bluebonnet Brewoff Winner
1st Place Gold Medal - Munich Helles
1st Place Gold Medal - Oktoberfest

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 04:27:46 AM »

Hmmm no lid? Anyone else go with no lid?

I’ve spun without a lid.  I don’t worry about pit temps while spinning birds since it’s a relatively short cook. 
https://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=40349

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 06:07:47 AM »
Thanks for all of the replys!

I think I have a combination of problems with my approach after reading all of your methods.

#1 my fire. I typically put fresh briquettes at the bottom of my baskets and dump hot coals on top to get longer hot cooks. I think these are all igniting with no control at all

#2 my sweeps. I think my sweeps may not be sealing to the bottom of the bowl helping with the problem in #1.

I cook on my mastertouch 3-4 times a week and its a couple years old now, so it might be time for a mastertouch make over!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2022, 07:47:35 AM »
I recommend removing the sweeps, cleaning the bowl and re-bending the sweeps at the circle to get a better seal.  My red LE needs this done, but I cook pizzas and vortex wings with it so it stays wide open all the time.  Good luck!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2022, 08:29:54 AM »
Yep, we had a surprise storm roll through a couple of weeks ago and my personal weather station recorded a 28mph gust out of nowhere and flipped my MT and 18er about 6 feet into my yard. Bent the bail and knocked off the ash can on the MT and knocked the bowl out of round. I suspect that may have done it to the sweeps.

Any idea if warranty covers storm damage? Lol

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2022, 02:09:21 PM »
I was surprised to discover so many do it with the lid closed!
I've never had one with a lid before so i just assumed most were open!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 05:35:20 PM »
No lid! [emoji1696][emoji1696]

captainhook455

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2022, 08:25:10 AM »
What a nice above ground pool. Did your dog kill it?lol

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2022, 08:48:40 AM »
Haha! DOA actually from Wal-Mart.

My 7 month old was heatbroken.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2022, 09:27:00 AM »
I’m late to the party and haven’t read all the posts but I bank a lot of unlit coal and start one end with about half a chimney. I run the bottom vent cracked and top half open to full open and my temps run 350-375 and I never have to add charcoal.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 09:29:20 AM »
That picture was three hours in and the Turkey was done. You can’t really see the coals but dump the lit coals on the breast end and it burns around to the leg side. That way the heat is more on the dark meat and less on the white meat towards the end of the cook.

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 09:59:40 AM »
That picture was three hours in and the Turkey was done. You can’t really see the coals but dump the lit coals on the breast end and it burns around to the leg side. That way the heat is more on the dark meat and less on the white meat towards the end of the cook.

That's a good looking turkey and a great way to run the Weber for a roti turkey
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

captainhook455

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2022, 10:39:03 AM »
Haha! DOA actually from Wal-Mart.

My 7 month old was heatbroken.
Go to Army surplus store and buy an inflatable raft makes a great kiddie pool and can jump or bounce off the sides into the water. The kids will figure out the latter on their own.  When I was a child my father bought us a 20 man raft that we pumped up with a bicycle pump. Took days.... Anyways todays rafts are self inflatable.

Edit: Even though I was born in Tampa FL I didn't learn to swim until I was 11. Stayed with an aunt for the summer she bought me a belt with a styrofoam football on the back. Then when I was in the boy scouts did the mile swim and life saving merit badge. For a 7 month old I would get a life jacket to keep the head out the water. You can't watch them every second. I still have my football and many children have used it. Hopefully something similar is on the market. I don't care for inflatables. This from a man with 5 children, 10 grandchildren and 17 great grands.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 10:52:23 AM by captainhook455 »

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2022, 01:56:14 PM »
Great advice thanks!

Now how can I get a successful cook on my rotisserie? [emoji1787]

Keep in mind my sweeps are warped and temp control is a problem, hence why I tried the no-lid approach.

I guess this is the final sign that I need to fix my sweeps or I may never achieve a good cook on it

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 09:16:24 AM »
If you are still having temp control issues after fixing your sweeps,

Seal the second set of holes on your CB ring with this

and count your briquettes and keep a cooking log. Don't light off more briqs than you need to hit your target temp.