Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Roto temp control  (Read 799 times)

acast285

• WKC Brave
Roto temp control
« on: February 06, 2022, 09:39:01 AM »
I recently got a cajun bandit roto set up and have attempted dizzy chicken twice. The first one came out overdone, and the second time came out pretty good, but both times, I had a really hard time controlling the temps, and my internal thermo was reading 500F- 550F the entire cook.

The first cook I had a 3/4 full sns, and the second time I used two weber baskets split but closer together towards the dark meat as recommended here, but again 500-550F.

I believe it's all of the extra holes in the roto ring and extra airspace is making the temp harder to control. Should I be reducing my charcoal since I can't seem to choke them down? From my understanding the target temp is 350F?

My third attempt is going down tonight, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Roto temp control
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 10:24:38 AM »
Newer Weber or older? Vent settings?

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:33:51 AM »
Newer mastertouch, top vent open, bottom vent open, closed, anywhere in between, didn't make a difference

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »
I’d try baskets - one on each side, just less charcoal and choke back the vents.  Not much else you can do.  Also keep the lid on and no peeking.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »
Target temp 350ish?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 01:18:45 PM »
Yes I’d say for rotisserie chicken target temperature of 375 is good

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 01:26:26 PM »
Thanks as always, Bama!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2022, 01:43:05 PM »

Thanks as always, Bama!
Glad to help!

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2022, 04:48:31 PM »
Welp, ended up having to close both vents, temps won't drop below 450F, and at the 40 min check my chicken skin is burnt, split and resembles a globe. IT is 135F... this thing got me again!

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 04:53:48 PM »
Maybe make sure when the lower vent is in the closed position it actually covers all 3 slots properly.  Sounds like something is off….You’ve got a lot of air feeding the fire from somewhere.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2022, 05:10:35 PM »
Yea it has to be... I'll have to investigate this week. It may still eat just fine, just doesn't look too good, ha. I'll post pics once I pull it off

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2022, 05:55:37 PM »
Looks terrible... but still juicy! Ha

Stoneage

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 09:35:03 AM »
I used one basket off to the side.
Big drip pan in the middle, bottom vent 1/2 open.
Do you put the lid on? I don't.

acast285

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 10:41:03 AM »
Hmmm no lid? Anyone else go with no lid?

cdp8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 02:02:49 PM »
I have the same setup as you, the Cajun Bandit ring on a newish master touch. I used high temp flue tape to seal the extra set of holes.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-High-Temperature-Flue-15-Foot/dp/B00004Z4DS/

I also put a gasket on the lid, more to decrease the tinny feeling of the lid than for leaks.

I have not had the high temp issues you have encountered. I think the issue is too much charcoal.

I use two small Weber chimneys. I don't quite fill them all the way. I dump the lit coals into the char baskets before they completely ash over. The char baskets are spread as far apart as they can be because I put a Costco disposable drip pan between the baskets and it is a smidge larger than the Weber ones. It gives me a perfect 375-425 every time from my now dwindling stash of Weber charcoal. On one occasion, I didn't get the color I was looking for on the bird, so the last few minutes I pulled the drip pan, pushed the baskets together and cooked direct.

Using two small chimneys, rather than a single large one, has been a game changer for me in charcoal grilling. Using a big chimney, the coals at the bottom are almost used up when the coals on top are just getting going, and two small chimneys are ready sooner than one large one. This is specially true when using a fast-lighting & fast-burning charcoal like K-Pro.

I cook lid on.

I highly recommend Jamie Purviance's buttermilk and hot sauce brine with fresh herbs. It's from one of his Weber cookbooks, New American Barbecue, I think. It is amazing. It's so good that my wife requested it for Valentine's Day dinner.