Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe wants to be a pizza oven  (Read 45099 times)

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe wants to be a pizza oven
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:24:34 AM »
Hi all, long time non-poster but longer time reader,

I have a spare old Weber Jumbo Joe that I want to turn into a pizza oven/kettle. I’ve got a 18” pizza oven riser from Kettle BBQ Bits in South Australia. Now I plan to put a Weber chimney full of (about 40-45) lit briquettes snake like around the kettle and some good fist size chunks of oak on top of the briquettes at the back of the JJ. I’m thinking of using a 1cm thick square pizza steel either 14” x 14” or 12 x 12 inches).

Looking for advice generally including if I’m completely off track on making nice thin Neapolitan pizza with nice leopard spotting (putting aside my cooking skills). Will I get a high enough temp eg around 700F measured on the steel?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:31:10 AM by Charcoal_Guerrilla »

smokin_3-5x

• Happy Cooker
Re: Jumbo Joe wants to be a pizza oven
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 05:59:50 PM »
I've got a 22 with the kettle pizza attachement. It gets to screamin' temps with what you describe.

How has it worked out for you since posting?

smokin_3-5x

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »
Forgot to add - even with the size advantage of the 22" you end up using "indirect" or convection heat. the 18" might make for some smaller pizzas which is fun to crank out a bunch for friends/family.

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe wants to be a pizza oven
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2022, 04:34:37 AM »
@smokin_3-5x  It went pretty well. Ended up using an oversized SnS basket filled with a chimney of briquettes and 4 chunks of apple wood. Placed the grate in the kettle then a knock custom made 18” Kettle Pizza styled attachment. On top of the attachment sat the Weber 22” deflector shield and a pizza stone followed by the kettle lid. The pizza stone for the cook was placed on the cooking grate already inside the pizza oven - then we let the oven to heat up for 30 mins. Chucked 3 more chunks on and waited for them to catch and then started loading our first pizza. Each pizza took about 3-5 mins so I should have cranked up the heat a fair bit more eg a few double splits to get the pizza stone up to 650c. Pizza tasted good though.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 04:39:26 AM by Charcoal_Guerrilla »

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2022, 03:01:56 AM »
Sounds great - Any pics you can share?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 01:42:03 AM »
Hi thanks for your interest, I’ve found some photos of the cook and one with the Jumbo Joe assembled. Unfortunately, I don’t have pics with the “pizza kettle” unassembled.

Charcoal_Guerrilla

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 01:56:02 AM »
Bonus pic of a Weber kettle charcoal pizza attachment in action [emoji16] (found when digging through older photos).

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2022, 09:13:46 AM »
Bonus pic of a Weber kettle charcoal pizza attachment in action [emoji16] (found when digging through older photos).

Look at that bowl blush.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.