Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I’ve lost…that grilling feeling…  (Read 584 times)

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
I’ve lost…that grilling feeling…
« on: October 23, 2021, 06:20:48 PM »
Has anybody else? I think it’s the combination of colder weather and it getting dark earlier. I resorted to baked chicken last night.
Happiness is found under the lid of a charcoal grill.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: I’ve lost…that grilling feeling…
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 06:36:13 PM »
It’s always ok to take a break….Come back to it when you want - find a new recipe, watch some YouTube videos, use an accessory you haven’t tried in a while.  I like early morning breakfasts cooked on my SNS Plancha.  I cooked an amazing rotisserie chicken tonight with a new method - brined the chicken for the first time and it was so good.  Had a fire pit lit in the back yard while it was finishing up.  And nothing wrong with other methods as the fall and winter wears on.  I did some fun chicken wings in the air fryer this week.  Oh, check out Tom Horsman on YouTube.  He cooks some fun stuff in the winter months and lives in Wisconsin.  There’s lots of things to keep it fun this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
I’ve lost…that grilling feeling…
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 07:08:10 PM »
It’s always ok to take a break….Come back to it when you want - find a new recipe, watch some YouTube videos, use an accessory you haven’t tried in a while.  I like early morning breakfasts cooked on my SNS Plancha.  I cooked an amazing rotisserie chicken tonight with a new method - brined the chicken for the first time and it was so good.  Had a fire pit lit in the back yard while it was finishing up.  And nothing wrong with other methods as the fall and winter wears on.  I did some fun chicken wings in the air fryer this week.  Oh, check out Tom Horsman on YouTube.  He cooks some fun stuff in the winter months and lives in Wisconsin.  There’s lots of things to keep it fun this time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
Not going to do it…Wouldn’t be prudent! Talking about taking a break from grilling.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Dc_smoke309

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 09:06:19 AM »
Sometimes you have to take a break, I get that way sometimes . Maybe try something new . I honestly get bored sometimes just cooking the same stuff . Chops,
Brats ext. it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
I can agree with waxing and waning….I go through spats sometimes. When in quarantine I grilled all the time. It’s slowed some now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »
I still want to grill, but the cold temps and early sunset took me down a notch that night.
I’m all good, I’m just going to grill more lunches. Today it’s gonna be grilled chicken sandwiches and stuffed clams.

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 11:24:54 AM »
@stillgriller ,  There is a Logo Kettle Master List, here on this site.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=36671.0

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 12:47:29 PM »
Yup, I’ve seen it, and will update with my latest acquisitions. Also posted todays lunch in the “ what’s On your grill right now” thread. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 12:49:00 PM by stillgriller »

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 01:57:57 PM »
Has anybody else? I think it’s the combination of colder weather and it getting dark earlier. I resorted to baked chicken last night.

My barbecue activity has been way down lately too.  In my case it's more to do with locally we've been having a lot of rain this year plus my work schedule has been awful.  Today was a good example of the second one.  If I wasn't under pressure to get to work, I'd have happily fired up and cooked outside since it was a beautiful fall day but I was so pushed for time, I needed to do something more hands off so I prepared some food and shoved it in the oven so the cooking took place while I was in the shower.  Most of the rest of the week looks like rain; hopefully early November works out better.

With respect to the rain, one of the friends I hadn't seen in 19 months visited back in September and we'd been planning on steaks to celebrate that but we got rained out the whole visit so that was more indoor cooking and restaurant meals there on account of the weather.

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
I forgot to mention this:  The shorter days are turning into a problem for me too.  I don't know how related to the pandemic or not this is but the wheels have been falling off one of the neighbours the last few years and she started vandalizing my outdoor lighting about this time last year.  That's turned cooking outdoors after dark into a barrel of fun never knowing if the outdoor lights are going to work or not.  At one point, I resorted to hanging a trouble light from a tall plant hanger so it would shine over my main grill, and kept this plus the extension cord powering it well away from arm's reach of the fence between our two back yards.  Honestly, every neighbourhood or street has a miserable old bat, but this one's turned into a really nasty piece of work over the last couple of years.

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 08:32:13 PM »
I forgot to mention this:  The shorter days are turning into a problem for me too.  I don't know how related to the pandemic or not this is but the wheels have been falling off one of  the last few years and she started vandalizing my outdoor lighting about this time last year.  That's turned cooking outdoors after dark into a barrel of fun never knowing if the outdoor lights are going to work or not.  At one point, I resorted to hanging a trouble light from a tall plant hanger so it would shine over my main grill, and kept this plus the extension cord powering it well away from arm's reach of the fence between our two back yards.  Honestly, every neighbourhood or street has a miserable old bat, but this one's turned into a really nasty piece of work over the last couple of years.
I’m not usually one for security cameras, but if I had that neighbor, I would get them.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 09:22:15 AM »
11 years ago when I was in my mid 30's I would fire up the grill during a snow storm  and cook burgers.  Now, hell no, I am inside and not spending extensive time if I don't need to in sub 32 deg(F) temps.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

stillgriller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 01:05:58 PM »
As soon as cooking inside helps to heat the house, I lean towards the fall foods. Soups, chili, chicken and noodles, biscuits and gravy, baked anything and crockpot everything else. I also need to make a few batches of jerky, if I can find the stripped sirloin I usually use. Then desserts, cakes, cobblers and tart tatin.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2021, 03:52:02 AM »
11 years ago when I was in my mid 30's I would fire up the grill during a snow storm  and cook burgers.  Now, hell no, I am inside and not spending extensive time if I don't need to in sub 32 deg(F) temps.

I should also note, I use a pellet grill now too, so yeah there is that.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2021, 08:24:41 AM »
I forgot to mention this:  The shorter days are turning into a problem for me too.  I don't know how related to the pandemic or not this is but the wheels have been falling off one of  the last few years and she started vandalizing my outdoor lighting about this time last year.  That's turned cooking outdoors after dark into a barrel of fun never knowing if the outdoor lights are going to work or not.  At one point, I resorted to hanging a trouble light from a tall plant hanger so it would shine over my main grill, and kept this plus the extension cord powering it well away from arm's reach of the fence between our two back yards.  Honestly, every neighbourhood or street has a miserable old bat, but this one's turned into a really nasty piece of work over the last couple of years.
I’m not usually one for security cameras, but if I had that neighbor, I would get them.

Agreed, and I'm looking into that or hidden trail cameras in the back yard, or possibly both.  I never wanted to be the person that goes all 1984 but between this neighbour that's become increasingly unstable over the last few years and my minivan being stolen back in 2017, I'm starting to think it's become necessary.

As soon as cooking inside helps to heat the house, I lean towards the fall foods. Soups, chili, chicken and noodles, biscuits and gravy, baked anything and crockpot everything else. I also need to make a few batches of jerky, if I can find the stripped sirloin I usually use. Then desserts, cakes, cobblers and tart tatin.

There's definitely something about a warm stove or a warm oven and food cooking on a dreary wet fall day where being outside is just unpleasant.  Fall is my favourite season and I love barbecuing in the cool crisp air but the moment it gets wet, no thanks.  Cooking indoors and staying dry and contributing heat to the house is great if it's rainy.  I live in a little bungalow which also has a wood burning fireplace in the living room.  Between the fireplace and food cooking in the kitchen, it's enough to keep the house warm and a pleasant way to relax on a day off.