Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza for a “large” group (20+)  (Read 43999 times)

Hoover98

• Smokey Joe
Pizza for a “large” group (20+)
« on: October 02, 2021, 01:07:32 PM »
When we do pizzas here for the 5 of us, I almost always have a period after 2 or 3 where I have to pause to either let the stone heat back up or the grill temp to climb. I’m not looking to have 20+ people eating at the same time with this process, but I am looking for suggestions of ways to keep the assembly line moving smoothly for repeated pizza cooks on a 22” with a Kettle pizza.

Some of the ideas I’ve had...
-have a second (and maybe a third)  stone preheating full blast on gas grill and swap out every 2-3 pizzas. Biggest issue I see with this is having to swap out stones that are really hot with people hanging around. Also taking lid and ring off will lose heat to some extent.
-use the gas grill with two stones and a smoker box of wood chips to cook 3 pizzas total at the same time.
-have pre-lit charcoal and mini wood logs going in the fire pit to add to kettle as needed

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Pizza for a “large” group (20+)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
I’m thinking the best strategy is to “Keep the Fire Burning” REO Speedwagon reference….I’ve found that as long as I see flames in the back of the semi circle of coals, it stays hot - at least registering 550 - 600F.  Keep plenty of small pieces of wood handy to toss in the back between pies.  Do you have the steel to top the kettle pizza attachment?  It’s a game changer in keeping the stone hot and the heat reflecting downward on the pies.  Best of luck!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Pizza for a “large” group (20+)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 01:59:46 PM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my steel….you can also use a Hunsaker griddle plate
or SNS Plancha as a top reflector if you have one.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 02:04:20 PM by bamakettles »

Hoover98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 03:01:17 PM »
I do not have the steel, but I do have a large 22” pizza pan that I lay on top to essentially “lower” the lid to keep the heat up and not ruin the kettle lid. I’ve been looking at those steel plates, though, now that you mention it.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 06:49:23 PM »
I’m assuming you’d like to enjoy the group, and I know you’ll want to enjoy the process as well.

And I’ll also assume that with people hanging around you’ll be getting questions on everything

And some might even want to get involved.

I vote for bringing the gasser into the pizza duty. You can put the rookies on it if needed.

And don’t bother with a smoke box, and just keep cranking them out.

Have a drop table ready to unload pizzas just in case something gets out of hand.

Just my two pies worth.

Dude, relax your chicken.

Hoover98

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 08:05:26 PM »
Dazzo... you and I think alike, and I’m taking it further. Going back to first instinct of burgers and dogs. Just too big of a group for me to be able to provide food and still mingle/interact with my staff. If I could get someone to man the kettle that knew what they were doing, I’d think the pizza would be a good idea. I just don’t want to be on the job for hours to be honest.