Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Some Help with my WSM 18" Temps  (Read 469 times)

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
Some Help with my WSM 18" Temps
« on: August 23, 2021, 10:33:23 AM »
For so many smoke cooks on my regular Weber kettles high heat was sooo easy to achieve!  I bought my first WSM ever (18") this summer.  I've used it a dozen times and it has delivered.  Really like how easy it is to keep low temps.  Lots of chicken, wings, some smokes steaks, etc... Damn, this thing with turkey kielbasa is insane! 

One thing I am having trouble with is getting the temp past the 200F and up toward 250F.  I clean out the bottom ash.  I use a chimney with Kingsford regular.  The chimney is 3/4 full and ashed over.  I drop that on top of some wood and raw Kingsford charcoal (minion method).  I am using water in the bowl and I put in hot water.  I have always kept my top vent open.  I am also running the 3 bottom vents wide open.  I'm missing something or it's the humidity getting at my charcoal.

Thanks for the help! 

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Some Help with my WSM 18" Temps
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »
I've had the same issue with my 22" WSM when using water in the water bowl.  It's not a problem when using the firedial, but for the last couple of cooks I've gone back to water in the pan.  Here's something I've learned here that works with basically any kettle or WSM.  If you need to get the temps up, crack the lid.  I have a set of SNS charcoal tongs that work perfectly for this - I just lift the lid on one side and hang the charcoal side of the tongs over the lip of the cooker and rest the lid down on it.  You'll be surprised how quickly the temps come up.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »
Once you get familiar with wsm temp control, you can probably experiment with no water.   I used water for the first two years.   Got tired of messing with disposing of it.   It will still hold low temps without water.  It will also save fuel, especially in the winter. 

The next phase after no water is no pan at all!   Then the wsm behaves like a pit barrel cooker.   Makes for fun experiments, especially with chicken. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transit98

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:49 AM »
Congratulations on the 18. Enjoy it! Use lump charcoal and no water in the pan. If it is a small cook, let’s say one full chicken- out the bird to one side and bank the coals on the other with out the pan. Also don’t have to load a lot of coals cuz on a small cook, 3-4 hours, you might not need all the fuel.

Have fun and enjoy - Fall cooks will be here soon[emoji491][emoji91][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »
Once you get familiar with wsm temp control, you can probably experiment with no water.   I used water for the first two years.   Got tired of messing with disposing of it.   It will still hold low temps without water.  It will also save fuel, especially in the winter. 

The next phase after no water is no pan at all!   Then the wsm behaves like a pit barrel cooker.   Makes for fun experiments, especially with chicken. 

I totally agree with this. Your wsm needs to be leak-free though.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Sparky2020

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 04:59:10 PM »
To raise temp as mentioned above. I prop the lid a bit. I first saw this in Harry Soo's video below (6:50 min mark). Works great.
 I usually prop the lid until temp is where I want it then place the lid back on as normal. Temp will very slowly drop over time doing it as I do, ill prop it from time to time to raise it back up a bit if needed on long cooks.
If you leave it proped and walk away there is a risk of getting too hot in my experience.

Like anything else you just have to experiment a bit. The more you prop the lid the more airflow and the hotter it will get.

https://youtu.be/elcqORHL5rU

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:09:47 PM by Sparky2020 »