Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood planked fish suggestions  (Read 262 times)

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
Wood planked fish suggestions
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:36:57 AM »
Guys what are some of your go to fish and wood plank combinations, aside from the tried and true cedar planked salmon?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:47:13 AM »
I rarely plank but I do add a chunk of cherry or apple in the coals when cooking salmon. If skin on then I cook direct with coals spread even. The skin is sacrificial in this case. Or if skinless, I cook indirect on parchment or lemon slice trivets. Just salt and pepper and a touch of cayenne.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Lilyankee

• WKC Brave
Re: Wood planked fish suggestions
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 05:30:27 PM »
I put salmon scale/skin side down on a paper bag, cut the bag around the fish leaving about 1/4". Season, juice, EVOO or whatever you like and cook indirect on a hot grill. Paper won't burn. Then slide your fork between the bag and the meat when plating. Easy cleanup and works great every time. I also do wood smoke of some sort right on the coals for a little added flavor. This was coconut Jasmine rice, salmon and home made mango salsa. Definitely will be making this again!

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 04:22:14 AM »
Excellent, thank you both!

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:48 AM »

I put salmon scale/skin side down on a paper bag, cut the bag around the fish leaving about 1/4". Season, juice, EVOO or whatever you like and cook indirect on a hot grill. Paper won't burn. Then slide your fork between the bag and the meat when plating. Easy cleanup and works great every time. I also do wood smoke of some sort right on the coals for a little added flavor. This was coconut Jasmine rice, salmon and home made mango salsa. Definitely will be making this again!

Looks great. I need to try that salsa

Andyinlz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
I put salmon skin side down right above the hot coals on the grates.

Skin won't burn. Then slide your spatula between the skin and the meat when plating.

Mike Huff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:48:25 PM »
That's a great tip. I'm trying that next time. Indirect is good, but the flavor profile of direct heat is incredible
I put salmon skin side down right above the hot coals on the grates.

Skin won't burn. Then slide your spatula between the skin and the meat when plating.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
I think the original question was “aside” from tried and true salmon? So I’ve done talapia, trout, and catfish on planks. Also done chicken breast strips. All where excellent.