Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Made by Weber or a knock off? Help  (Read 397 times)

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
Made by Weber or a knock off? Help
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:05:46 PM »
Update to the quest below:

Finally managed to do a quick soap and water clean up. Thank you for everyone for offering information on this kettle.

Have a superb BBQ season!

Help Weber Fanatics, please.

I was gifted a so called "Samson Dominion Kettle Grill" or whichever direction the thing reads. Please see photos.

At first, looking at it from a distance, I was so excited thinking it was a vintage Weber then realized it was not. However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the the design and the parts were all very similar to Weber parts of the time. I'm pretty sure back then 60s and 70s the whole copyright thing was a lot more serious and fewer "clones" exited. Am I just being naive? In any case, I'm wondering if anyone know if Weber ever produced kettles for other companies and added a different name and slightly different design. Kind of like Kenmore, Maytag, etc.

Your help is much appreciated.

Gal
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:46:43 PM by galcosta1 »

Hollando

• WKC Brave
Made by Weber or a knock off? Help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 05:23:30 PM »
This is a Samson Dominion grill. It’s a Canadian company, that made some pretty decent quality products. They’re long gone now but their products are still kicking.

This looks to still have its triangle great find!

@Jebiv educated me on this a couple years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:25:41 PM by Hollando »

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Made by Weber or a knock off? Help
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 05:51:47 PM »
Not a Weber, but it's a cool grill.  I think @greenweb  has one and knows about them.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:55:43 AM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 06:04:58 PM »
Thank you so much for the knowledge, Hollando! The triangle is actually not a triangle but a rounded arch of shorts. Looking forward to more tidbits of information :) I will post more pictures. Have a superb week!

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 07:09:45 PM »
Foster. Thank you very much! I will ask "him/her". New to forums and don't really know how they work :)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 07:19:55 PM »
Here is one thread

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0

And another

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=25795.msg270765.msg#270765

[quote name="WNC" post=270735 timestamp=1486256922]

[quote name="greenweb" post=270715 timestamp=1486253402]

[/quote]
Wait What!?
I need an explanation on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
[/quote]

Real fortunate to have scored this Red and Green last month. I just have not had a time to clean up both and present them properly yet.
So much like 60's and 70's Weber but with many interesting features not found on Weber MBH. For one, it looks like the vents are spuned on a lathe not stamped aluminum like on Weber.

This is the most I can find on Samson kettles. http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/interesting-find-sampson-dominion-kettle/

Here is the Green one cleaned.  Upside roundangle, looks exact same Weber rubber metal wheels and legs still needs to be cleaned.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bgilbert44

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 07:43:55 PM »
TIL of the existence of another kettle clone. These look cool! I like the green one.
I think I might need a bigger backyard soon...

galcosta1

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
Thank you so much, Foster. I had a hard time finding images. You're super helpful. Wow! They look so nice! I noticed all the grate dimensions are exactly the same, so I can use a new grate. I will post images of it before and after clean up. This is one quite beat up, but still has all its original parts as far as I can tell. Again, your help are much appreciated.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »
I've always liked the look of these, especially the "rainbow" triangle.  Congrats, I can't wait to see the clean up.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!