Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermapen: Classic vs. MkIV  (Read 395 times)

putoluto

• WKC Brave
Thermapen: Classic vs. MkIV
« on: April 10, 2021, 01:18:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure I understand the primary differences between the Classic and the MkIV are twofold: water resistance, and backlit display.  Are there other differences I'm missing? Which do those with both prefer?

Thanks!

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
Re: Thermapen: Classic vs. MkIV
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 01:33:18 PM »
Rotating display is another I can think of. I must say to me the upgrade to the MKIV was well worth it. I grill year round, and
having the backlit display in the winter is a huge help.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 07:38:48 PM »
Regular battery vs lithium coin cell. Mk4 is well worth the extra dollars
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:12:20 AM »
Ahhh, now I'm doubly glad. Not only all of your replies, but I see the red Thermapen iV is now on sale for only a couple bucks more than the Classic. Seriously, like $2.  Much better tool for that $2.  Thank you guys, order placed.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:09:37 AM »
It is worth waiting for a sale to get the MK4 in my opinion. Good decision.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Hollando

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:36 AM »

It is worth waiting for a sale to get the MK4 in my opinion. Good decision.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
100%

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2021, 06:36:59 AM »
Okay, back to a similar basic question. So many of Thermoworks' products seem so similar in function that I can't figure out why one over another. For examples:
1. Why Thermapen (classic or MkIV) versus ThermoPop?
2. Why ChefAlarm (single probe leave-in) versus DOT?

Confused :-|

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2021, 07:38:11 AM »
The Thermopop is a good device but the rotating display and backlight only work if you press a button.
The Thermopop also reads temps slight slower. With that said it's a great device and if your on a budget
it's the way to go. I have recommended that device to more people than I can count, and they all end up loving
it and recommending it to their friends.

The MKIV is what I have, and the backlight is automatic with auto rotating display, and slightly faster read time.
It feels very good in the hand and is more ergonomic in my opinion. My first Thermopen was the classic and it worked
good but lacked the above mentioned features. You cannot go wrong with either one, and
I would say it boils down to your needs. I wanted those features so I upgraded and sold my Thermopen Classic.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
Okay, back to a similar basic question. So many of Thermoworks' products seem so similar in function that I can't figure out why one over another. For examples:
1. Why Thermapen (classic or MkIV) versus ThermoPop?
2. Why ChefAlarm (single probe leave-in) versus DOT?

Confused :-|

The MKIV has features as noted in the post by @bthorn9435 .  The Chef Alarm has a timer on the display and a way to set the alarm not only for high temps but for low temps.  It is meant not only for grilling, but for kitchen applications, such when you are trying to get the temperature of liquids to drop to a certain temp, for instance, or for making cold dishes that you want to be at certain temps.  It even comes with a clip to attach the probe to a stove-top pot.  Also, the display can tilt forward to make it easier to read. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:00:41 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

putoluto

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 03:30:11 PM »
Thank you everyone. I kinda wish Thermoworks had a select-and-compare-chart option on their website. It would make a lot more sense of a lot of their offerings which would probably lead to more sales.  They don't need my advice however, but I'm glad you guys helped clarify it all for me. I am happy with my MkIV and Chef Alarm for now. I may replace my Inkbird 4-probe with their higher quality stuff down the road.  Thankfully Thermoworks seems to have sales on the regular.