Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 22 WSM Water Pan Question  (Read 705 times)

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
22 WSM Water Pan Question
« on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:41 AM »
I picked up a used 22 and started the cleaning process last weekend. The water pan is pretty gunked up so I soaked it with a water/simple green mix.
I was able to get a lot of the crap out of it. But I am wondering, is the water pan porcelain coated like the kettles are? I don't want to use my usual cleaning methods and chance scraping it. Thanks!

Transit98

• WKC Brave
Re: 22 WSM Water Pan Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »
I have an older 18wsm and it has a porcelain water pan. I use oven off when it gets bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:06:01 PM »
I have an older 18wsm and it has a porcelain water pan. I use oven off when it gets bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

That's great. That's exactly what I wanted to do. But I wasn't sure if I could. Thanks!

magic mike

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 04:45:33 AM »
I picked up a used 22 and started the cleaning process last weekend. The water pan is pretty gunked up so I soaked it with a water/simple green mix.
I was able to get a lot of the crap out of it. But I am wondering, is the water pan porcelain coated like the kettles are? I don't want to use my usual cleaning methods and chance scraping it. Thanks!

Yes, albeit a thinner coating on the 22 water pan.  For the 18 WSM, since the water bowl is just a repurposed Smokey joe bowl the coating is just as thick as the dome and lid.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:47:39 AM by magic mike »

502BBQ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 05:38:36 PM »

Yes, albeit a thinner coating on the 22 water pan.  For the 18 WSM, since the water bowl is just a repurposed Smokey joe bowl the coating is just as thick as the dome and lid.
I appreciate the info!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

SeanE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 10:27:43 AM »
Thanks magic mike,  I didn't realize that.