Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blues Hog Charcoal Briquettes  (Read 531 times)

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
Blues Hog Charcoal Briquettes
« on: February 21, 2021, 08:01:05 AM »
Ever since the Weber charcoal briquettes were discontinued I've been looking for a replacement that I can get locally. B&B is my second choice but Ace Hardware was the closest option for that but now unavailable on their website.  Blues Hog BBQ has recently started selling a briquette that is available at Ace. From the photos on their facebook page, they appear to be plump like the Weber. Has anyone had a chance to try these out yet? Was wondering if it's worth almost twice the cost of B&B for less charcoal.       https://blueshog.com/

RRRanger99

• WKC Performer
Re: Blues Hog Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 08:12:36 AM »
It looks like it's exclusive to Ace Hardware. They also have lump charcoal on their website.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:01:35 AM »
Probably made by b&b. Lump says made in USA. Briquette does not. Just like b&b

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

sonofabutcher

• WKC Brave
Blues Hog Charcoal Briquettes
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 02:18:50 PM »
The owner of Gateway drums bought BH couple years back. When I first got my drum i bought a bag of the BH lump and it’s really good but did  have  a good bit of some small shake pieces . Lump is made from Missouri hardwoods. The BH lump was $25 a bag and I probably will never buy it again at that price. BB oak is comparable and almost 1/2 the price.
I’m not sure the charcoal would be worth the price

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 02:36:44 PM by sonofabutcher »

FatBottomGrills

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 01:19:12 AM »
I think "BBQ IT" has a video on you tube that included this brand in his "best lump test"

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »
I just threw away a half bag of Blues Hog lump

It was sparking and popping too much and the flavor was just too smokey and mesquite-like.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:00:07 AM »
Ever since the Weber charcoal briquettes were discontinued I've been looking for a replacement that I can get locally. B&B is my second choice but Ace Hardware was the closest option for that but now unavailable on their website.  Blues Hog BBQ has recently started selling a briquette that is available at Ace. From the photos on their facebook page, they appear to be plump like the Weber. Has anyone had a chance to try these out yet? Was wondering if it's worth almost twice the cost of B&B for less charcoal.       https://blueshog.com/
I’ve been using royal oak chef select.   It’s all oak or hickory hardwood and the briqs are 30% larger than the usual red bag ro.  It’s similar in size to Weber but has the ridge.  It works well for all types of cooks.  GFS (Gordon Food Service) sells it.  It’s $10-$12 per 20 lb bag depending on the season. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 02:56:58 PM »
Weber briqs are still available in Canada. Apparently RO Chef Select is pretty much the same product.

Smooth Jonny BBQ

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 06:38:43 PM »
Weber briqs are still available in Canada. Apparently RO Chef Select is pretty much the same product.
  Thanks. I can get the RO thru Amazon so I'll probably give that a try.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 01:58:44 PM »
It doesn't look the same, because of the ridges, but the composition is very close. Apparently the old chef molds(before the ridge) are what was used for Weber briquettes.