Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Faded jet black or?  (Read 1522 times)

Mr. Frump

• Happy Cooker
Faded jet black or?
« on: August 31, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
Gents, first post.  WKC is quite the resource.  Bravo for hosting such a great collection of info on a great American past time.  I have my grandfather's 22 kettle that I recently started using more.  During a recent 13 hour smoke I passed some time by trying to learn more about the grill, stumbled on this site, and the rest is history. 

My question is in regards to the color.  It's a late 70's model, best i can narrow it down to is a 1976-1978 via the age guide on WKC.  Picture is attached.  For years I've assumed that it was a dime a dozen jet black color with MAJOR fading or UV damage but I'm starting to second guess.  I swear I saw a post somewhere (that I cant find now) referring to a charcoal or a slate color offered?  Did weber offer the 22 with an off-black color or does this appear to be a badly faded jet black? 

Two important notes.  1) I refurbished the top handle so dont judge the appearance of grill by comparing the condition of the handle.  2) The color of the grill is consistent from top to bottom.  My guess is that severe fading would mostly be present on the top lid or sides, not 100% throughout the surface of the grill.

Thanks for looking.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
Re: Faded jet black or?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »
Welcome to the club!   You have a faded black.
Text @ 419-619-6379

Yoster

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
I have one of those and was wondering the same thing.  Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 07:41:15 PM »
That is a faded black, which is a desirable trait.  It is not considered bad UV damage, but a pleasing weathered look. Slate is a much newer color, not offered in the 70s.  Grey was offered at one point some years ago, but is lighter than your faded black.  Also, yours is a MBH which is also desirable.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:45:12 PM by Foster Dahlet »
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:04:21 AM »
That grill is a beauty!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:34:36 AM »
Welcome to the WKC from Gainesville, Florida
Nice looking faded black MBH

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 03:41:48 AM »
Definitely a black and it’s grate to see it stay in your family. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 04:08:27 AM »
Sweet memories with that faded black kettle
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 04:44:59 AM »
If I remember right it was something to do with the pigment in the porcelain during that time period that caused the fading in a uniform way.
Some have wiped it down with a thin layer of cooking oil and got it hot to turn it black again,my opinion leave it alone and cook on it!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Mr. Frump

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 04:54:30 AM »
Okay guys, thank you!  I agree the patina on the black looks great. 
Do any of you know a source for finding a replacement rivet for the top exhaust vent that resembles the original?

Also, this MBH will cook low & slow but is a noticeably more finicky compared to a newer nylon handle 22 i bought 10~ years ago.  I saw one post somewhere with a user that installed a gasket on the lid of his 26 to help seal.  Pondering whether I should try that but unsure what food safe gasket material it was.  Any input on that???

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 05:28:26 AM »
Beautiful grill and history.  I really like it!  I would say that the temp fluctuations are more due to the lower vents not sealing as well as your newer model.  I've got a '73 just about like that one and the lower vents are pretty loose making it nearly impossible to extinguish the coals after a cook.  For mine, I don't see a way to tighten them up without drilling out the rivets, re-forming the vents properly and re-attaching with stainless hardware.  Others here may have a better process.

Mr. Frump

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
Bamakettles, that's a great point about the bottom 3 intake vents.

Going back to the lid gasket,....Is there any reference for an amount of "out of roundness" or fatness on the top lid and its abilty to control air flow?  This faded black MBH we're talking about is pretty good but has a few wobble areas pending how I clock the lid on the bowl.  I can get it to rock ever so slightly. 

I just picked up a 1969ish 22 in red that has seen waaay better days.  Both the bowl and lid were squished pretty bad and have incurred attempts to straighten before I got it.  It's probably one of those things where I wont know until I fire it up but really curious if the gasket material I saw somewhere is a quick solution. 

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 09:06:28 AM »

I just picked up a 1969ish 22 in red that has seen waaay better days.   

Ha! Ha! After buying my Performer (splashing back in the charcoal grill pool after waaaayyyy too many years with a gas grill), My next two purchases were also a '79 faded black 22, and a '68 red 22. My red's got a flat (missing) tire.

Drink plenty of fluids, and check your temperature. Sounds like you may have an early onset of Weberitis.

Bearded

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
I used this on my 22-in lid with plenty to spare. I imagine it will fit your 26 no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TAJW0QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_k3TtFbSAK0YTM

Make sure you get the lid rim nice and clean to help the felt gasket adhere.

Okay guys, thank you!  I agree the patina on the black looks great. 
Do any of you know a source for finding a replacement rivet for the top exhaust vent that resembles the original?

Also, this MBH will cook low & slow but is a noticeably more finicky compared to a newer nylon handle 22 i bought 10~ years ago.  I saw one post somewhere with a user that installed a gasket on the lid of his 26 to help seal.  Pondering whether I should try that but unsure what food safe gasket material it was.  Any input on that???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 03:52:01 PM by Bearded »

Mr. Frump

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 07:21:32 AM »
Bearded: thanks for info on gasket!