Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It now has a brother, and something for our timeline guys to figure out?  (Read 4839 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Glrasmussen, as of 1983 weber was still stamping the lower bowl without a ridge for the 1880 wsm. The changeover probably happened that year as you point out. How does the cooking grate sit in the non ridges one? Does it also have welded grate tabs?

I took another look, the cooking grate actually sits the same as all J's, very top lip.. I will have to look at my others. The ring just stood out with these two side by side. Need to educate myself better on the J's.

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
I like those legs.  Nice pair of smokeys.  You can partially refinish the "One and Only " handle and seal over the stamp to prevent it from being lost forever. I did that on my WGA and it worked pretty well.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

Greg, this is what I was talking about last nite.....the lip 'o the lid......

On the left is an "L".....rt. is "DU" or something......the Smokeys appear like they are different, might just be my eyesight...... :-*
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 08:07:59 AM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
And I though I had OCD.  :) Never looked at that lid lip. Interesting on little design changes, wonder why they made that slight change?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador

I'm thinkin' the one on the left just might be done with the "accquired" Happy Cooker machinery, when they went out of biz, Weber bought their stuff......it's thinner metal, too........

why would they go from thick, in the olden times, to thinner & back to thicker?

Maybe, just maybe 'cause the stampimg machines couldn't do the heavier stuff?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer

I'm thinkin' the one on the left just might be done with the "accquired" Happy Cooker machinery, when they went out of biz, Weber bought their stuff......it's thinner metal, too........

why would they go from thick, in the olden times, to thinner & back to thicker?

Maybe, just maybe 'cause the stampimg machines couldn't do the heavier stuff?

Heck, they should have just cranked up the hydraulic press. I think your onto something though Buckie.

colin.p

• Smokey Joe
"Its always fun to find one from the year you were born. My 22 Copper mist is as old as me."

"Where ARE all the 1955 kettles.....?"

I wouldn't mind a '55 kettle, a '55 2 door Ford, and '55 HD panhead. But since I don't have either of those, I have to settle for just me.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 05:32:55 PM by colin.p »
2009 Weber Spirit E310, 2013 22.5 OTG and a bunch of Weber stuff
I like my Weber's the same as my Ford's and Harley's, any colour, as long as it's black.