Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber performer deluxe Touch-N-Go question  (Read 1306 times)

rc

• WKC Brave
Weber performer deluxe Touch-N-Go question
« on: June 14, 2020, 07:12:13 PM »
Hey guys, I just picked up a performer deluxe and was wondering how long one of those small 1 lb propane cylinders last for the touch-n-go ignition system? I have never had a gas grill or gas ignition system on a grill before and I currently light my coals using a chimney and some old newspaper. Weber suggests to keep the gas on for about 5 minutes to make sure sure coals are lit. I grill a few times a week and don’t want to waste my time with a small tank if it’s going to last a week or so. Also, have any of you hooked up a large propane tank to your performers instead of a small cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
- Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Easy

• WKC Brave
Re: Weber performer deluxe Touch-N-Go question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
Hey guys, I just picked up a performer deluxe and was wondering how long one of those small 1 lb propane cylinders last for the touch-n-go ignition system? I have never had a gas grill or gas ignition system on a grill before and I currently light my coals using a chimney and some old newspaper. Weber suggests to keep the gas on for about 5 minutes to make sure sure coals are lit. I grill a few times a week and don’t want to waste my time with a small tank if it’s going to last a week or so. Also, have any of you hooked up a large propane tank to your performers instead of a small cylinder?

Thanks in advance!
- Ryan

Depending on the outside temp,& humidity leave on 3 to 5 minutes, say 2 or 3 cooks a week bottle will last 25 to 30 cooks. Once you light up the chimney you can turn down the flame a bit if not windy. I buy bottles in 4 packs and that lasts almost a year. If you get the 20lb bottle attach hose you can go 2 to 3 years as long as you don't forget yo turn off the gas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:19:40 AM »
Wow, 25 - 30 cooks on a small cylinder is way more than I expected. Looks like I’ll go that route instead of the large 20lb tank. Thanks for the info @Easy

JVReich

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:37 AM »
Same here.  I cook 2-3 times a week on my Performer.   Set the chimney over the fire for 3-5 min and turn off.   I’d say 30ish is a good number per canister. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »
Same here.  I cook 2-3 times a week on my Performer.   Set the chimney over the fire for 3-5 min and turn off.   I’d say 30ish is a good number per canister. 

The good thing now is you can buy a attachment to refill you small bottles from a 20lb bottle so you can save alot of money , buy a 2 or 4 pack and refill them like say 5 times each then replace them . Always think safe.

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 02:22:48 PM »

The good thing now is you can buy a attachment to refill you small bottles from a 20lb bottle so you can save alot of money , buy a 2 or 4 pack and refill them like say 5 times each then replace them . Always think safe.

Didn’t know you could refill those things. Nice to know, thanks!

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
Yep. $10-20 at Menards or Amazon
Lots of different brands to choose from. Search YouTube to see people doing it. I put my bottles in the freezer before filling. Supposedly they fill more when cold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 03:28:13 PM »

Yep. $10-20 at Menards or Amazon
Lots of different brands to choose from. Search YouTube to see people doing it. I put my bottles in the freezer before filling. Supposedly they fill more when cold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
awesome, I’m definitely going to pick one of those up.

Huh??

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 03:54:53 PM »
After using about three of the 1lb bottles, I got a four foot hose and attached a 20lb tank to my Performer. I didn't pay too much attention, but it doesn't seem like I got 25-30 starts to each bottle. What I found was, I could walk away to prep some food while trying to start some charcoal, and come back to no flame from the burner, and no adequately lit coals. When the little bottle is attached to the regulator underneath the table, I had no way of knowing how much fuel was left. Sure, an empty bottle is easily remedied by having some extras on hand at all times, but you tend to find out when you need to switch canisters at an inconvenient moment. With the 20lb tank sitting off to the side of the Performer cart, I can lift it and feel how much fuel is left, or eventually attach one of the in-line fuel level gauges. Maybe it's a little less elegant looking, but that's my current preference. My longer-term solution will be to use the base of my turkey fryer in a fire safe platform or enclosure for the charcoal lighting needs. That way, it'll be my go-to starter that I can use if I need to involve some of my other kettles, and not have issues if my Performer is already cooking.

rc

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 05:55:50 PM »

After using about three of the 1lb bottles, I got a four foot hose and attached a 20lb tank to my Performer. I didn't pay too much attention, but it doesn't seem like I got 25-30 starts to each bottle. What I found was, I could walk away to prep some food while trying to start some charcoal, and come back to no flame from the burner, and no adequately lit coals. When the little bottle is attached to the regulator underneath the table, I had no way of knowing how much fuel was left. Sure, an empty bottle is easily remedied by having some extras on hand at all times, but you tend to find out when you need to switch canisters at an inconvenient moment. With the 20lb tank sitting off to the side of the Performer cart, I can lift it and feel how much fuel is left, or eventually attach one of the in-line fuel level gauges. Maybe it's a little less elegant looking, but that's my current preference. My longer-term solution will be to use the base of my turkey fryer in a fire safe platform or enclosure for the charcoal lighting needs. That way, it'll be my go-to starter that I can use if I need to involve some of my other kettles, and not have issues if my Performer is already cooking.
i picked up a couple of the one pounders on sale from HomeDepot the other day. I’m still mulling over the idea of a 20lb tank for convenience like you said.