Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hello from Alameda, CA  (Read 1752 times)

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
Hello from Alameda, CA
« on: May 07, 2020, 09:00:45 AM »
Hello friends!

I'm grateful for your forum and looking forward to your correspondence.

Last night, as I was finishing some Korean-style honey/ginger baby-backs on my go-to charcoal Original Outdoor Cooker (OOC), when I walked around the house and found that someone left a Kettle grill in my yard.  Oddly, stuff gets left on our corner regularly, but usually it's a child's toy, shelves, chair, filing cabinet---never anything good.

Naturally, I grabbed it without inspection. I was already in love before I got her to my backyard (unknowing of what I had just found).  In the darkness, I couldn't find any markings or brand names--nor did I care too much, I was thinking "functionality" and "cleanliness."  So I transferred hot coals from the OOC into the Kettle and started a new fire thinking the best way to get her ready for service is to have a fire.

I'm a BBQ junkie.  I have owned a Kettle in the past but it was many years ago, and I certainly don't know ANYTHING  about what I've found--and that's why I'm here.  With your help I'd like to learn about what I've found, and also how to restore and repair it.
1.  What year is this?  I suspect '69 to '72
2. Whats the best way to clean it?
3. How can I fix the bottom vents--2 are broken.
4. Should I buy a new ash catcher for $20 or try and find the original?

I've attached some pictures.  I'm going to give her a bath with soap & water, some elbow grease, but leave the chemicals and cleaning products aside until you've shared your thoughts on more harsh compounds.

Thank you for reading and I hope everyone is staying healthy, and doing lots of BBQ during this time.

Cheers,
Andy aka B-SIDE

jdorn

• WKC Ranger
Re: Hello from Alameda, CA
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:04:08 AM »
Congrats! Welcome to the club! I wish someone would leave a cado in my yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 09:32:37 AM »
Welcome from Doraville,Ga that's a sweet grill you got to find !!
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:20:54 AM »
Congrats! Welcome to the club! I wish someone would leave a cado in my yard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Thank you!  I'm thrilled. And happy to have found this forum.

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 11:21:42 AM »
Thank you! 

Welcome from Doraville,Ga that's a sweet grill you got to find !!

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Looks like she's a 1969 to 1972 18" Avocado--the "Pat Pending" with no number is the reveal.

The wood on the lid-handle isn't going to last much longer & two of the three vents on the kettle-bottom are missing.

Curious if anybody on the forum makes replacement handles?

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:46:10 AM »
Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  What a cool thing to happen - someone leaving that in your yard.  It's quite the opposite here, anything we leave too close to the curb gets picked up quickly, especially metal items.  Very sweet little 18 you have there!  There is a handle thread going recently here, just use the search.  Also on the main page header there's a "Handles" tab you can check out.  Neat opening story......love it.

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 11:54:12 AM »
Hey Huntsville!  Thanks for the note!  I've found my way to the custom handle makers and I even learned the original wood used was walnut, so I'm going to place an order today.  What a fun new hobby---that I didn't have 24hrs ago.

I feel like Tom Hanks in Castaway when he finds that piece of plastic: "BAKERSFIELD!!!?!?!"

Welcome from Huntsville, Alabama!  What a cool thing to happen - someone leaving that in your yard.  It's quite the opposite here, anything we leave too close to the curb gets picked up quickly, especially metal items.  Very sweet little 18 you have there!  There is a handle thread going recently here, just use the search.  Also on the main page header there's a "Handles" tab you can check out.  Neat opening story......love it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:06:23 PM by B-SIDE »

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »
I placed an order with Mr. Brian O'Neil for a nice Walnut version.

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 01:09:26 PM »
I placed an order with Mr. Brian O'Neil for a nice Walnut version.

Nice.... Also check out on the main page - there's lots of tips for clean up and restoring these gems.  The porcelain is pretty tough and can actually be scraped with a flat razor blade to get things off other than rust.  Also, 0000 steel wool along with Weber grill cleaner works pretty well.  It's really amazing the way these can shine with a little elbow grease.  Have fun with your new project, but beware, it can be addictive!

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 05:56:11 PM »
Welcome from Sonoma!  I cant tell you how much harder it is for me to find an Avocado...you are living a good life.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

B-SIDE

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 07:04:02 AM »
Hello Neighbor!

Thank you for the note--I'm pretty lucky to be thrust into a new hobby unwittingly. What do they say? One man's trash is another man seared tomahawk rib-eye?   Best wishes to you!  I'm in the market for a twist on ash catcher for an 18 if you see anything local let me know!!  Cheers!

Welcome from Sonoma!  I cant tell you how much harder it is for me to find an Avocado...you are living a good life.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club

Cellar2ful

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 08:30:09 AM »

Welcome to the Forum neighbor from Castro Valley.  Congratulations on acquiring that "Mediterranean". With those transitional wheels and rubber treads, it's probably a 71-72. 
"Chasing Classic Kettles"