Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What would you do? Here's what I wound up doing  (Read 3789 times)

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
What would you do? Here's what I wound up doing
« on: June 20, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
Hey all,
Been working on the 1970 Avocado my son got for me for Father's day.

Just polished the legs, washing the wheels now, and will tackle the triangle tomorrow.
Here's my dilemma: None of the three bottom vents seal very well, and one of them is pretty bad.
The question: Do I drill out the rivets, reshape the daisy wheels and reattach with nice stainless hardware?
                             OR
Do I leave as is to keep it original?
I mean it's old, and it's cool, but will I make it worth any less if I improve it so I can cook on it?

I look forward to your responses!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:28:05 PM by Harbormaster »
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 05:37:00 PM »
If its a cooker I'd drill em out and replace otherwise you may have problems controlling temps. If its a looker clean em up and use a rubber mallet to shape them for a tighter fit.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »
Hey all,
Been working on the 1970 Avocado my son got for me for Father's day.

Just polished the legs, washing the wheels now, and will tackle the triangle tomorrow.
Here's my dilemma: None of the three bottom vents seal very well, and one of them is pretty bad.
The question: Do I drill out the rivets, reshape the daisy wheels and reattach with nice stainless hardware?
                             OR
Do I leave as is to keep it original?
I mean it's old, and it's cool, but will I make it worth any less if I improve it so I can cook on it?

I look forward to your responses!

Nice pic of a beautiful kettle. A grill that isn't functional isn't worth much especially if you want to cook on it! How intact are the vents? I would drill them out and massage them back into shape and reattach with ss hardware. If you can't fit it, no harm, just buy a new set. You can keep the old vents if you want.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »
It's a pretty minor thing that doesn't really show much at all..........

Yeah, if you'd like to cook, wouldn't fault you for that particular fixup......I'm of the mind only the very, very most rare ones are for the museum & shouldn't be used, at the owner's discretion......
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
I'm of the mind only the very, very most rare ones are for the museum & shouldn't be used
This is where my head is.
I think if it was totally chip free I'd leave it.
But I want to cook on it with my son, so I'm thinking the drill and remount solution is the right one.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
Dang, that looks nice.  If you plan to use it for cookin', drill them out and reshape or put on some new vents.  Like Buckie said, they are pretty well hidden.  Ive never had much luck reshaping the old vents once they lose their shape.   

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
A couple of my thoughts:

I do not care for the screw replacements.
I like to keep everything original if feasible. (shush about handles)
All mine are cookers.  If I had a 66 mustang i wiuld drive it. If I had a 54 corvette, i would drive it. If i had a 28 duesenberg i would drive it.
I would definitely try to clean, polish and reshape with a rubber mallet before i replaced them. 

I absolutely understand the folks saying to replace them - you should probalt listen to them.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:11:07 AM »
Are you planning on low-&-slow cooking that you need precise air flow?
I'd leave it original until I've used it for a while and determined if a change is required.
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
I'm not a collector if that were mine, given the chips, i would try to reshape the vents failing that drill and reshape.

Now mind you if that was a old firearm i would say no to drilling it ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
I'm of the mind only the very, very most rare ones are for the museum & shouldn't be used
This is where my head is.
I think if it was totally chip free I'd leave it.
But I want to cook on it with my son, so I'm thinking the drill and remount solution is the right one.

I agree, if it was mint, leave the vents. Since its not, its a cooker more than anything else. New vents with SS hardware is the way to go.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
Now mind you if that was a old firearm i would say no to drilling it ;D

I hear ya there!

I'd leave it original until I've used it for a while and determined if a change is required.

Good call.

I'm filling in for our pastor at church on Sunday, and this kettle will be part of my sermon.

It'll get cooked on after that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 12:22:03 PM by Harbormaster »

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
I'm with Bman, unless your doing L&S I'd leave it
It would be fine for grilling or high heat roasts
Awesome kettle too by the way!!!
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 03:17:43 PM »
I can't answer your questions .... I'm still quite new to the whole Weber restoration .. i.e. never done it.

But, that is one beauty of a kettle. That looks like 2-tone on the lid ... or is it 3-tone ..
Well, 1-tone, then a second tone, then back to the 1-tone. I like it a lot!!  :D :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
I never thought I would say this but I think the Advacodo Is the best looking color next too Red. I don't even like green! I have a pot from that era passed down from my mother and it looks like a mini weber, the colors even match. Must have been a go to color back then. Well guess I will start searching for one myself.
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
So here's what I woud up doing
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »
I don't have a rubber mallet (gonna change that soon) so I wrapped a 20 oz framing hammer with a thick layer of cloth and tapped the vents until they were in as good as shape as they were gonna get. The two that were OK to start with were much better. The bad one was still not so good.

So I got out the propane torch and heated the bad one up good and hot. With it still hot, I placed a Bush's bean can (with both ends removed) on the daisy wheel and pressed down hard on it until the daisy wheel was cool to the touch.

It worked.

It's still not perfect, but its a whole lot better than it was. I won't be drilling out the rivets anytime soon.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. Maybe my technique will help someone else.