Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is this CGA is worth my time?  (Read 2182 times)

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Is this CGA is worth my time?
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:07:21 AM »
I've been on the lookout for a wood-handled CGA in decent shape for a few months now. Cooker, not a looker. They seem to be few and far between compared to kettles, Smokey Joes, and even WSMs.

Found this one yesterday, though it's not in the best shape. I'm on the fence about it. I know I could get 3rd party replacement wood handles, and new grates from Weber. But at that point I might as well get a NOS wood-handled CGA from eBay, or settle for one of the brand new plastic handled CGAs.

What do you guys think?  I'll be at a meeting about 15 minutes from the seller tomorrow.

Does it look like there's corrosion/missing paint on that inside back corner to you all?

And if anyone else in my area reads this, please be cool and don't poach it from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 11:38:39 AM by KevinInStL »
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Is this CGA is worth $10?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:13:01 AM »
Go get it, and I’ll mail you a NOS replacement grate.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 09:21:12 AM »
I don’t understand the questions.  It looks solid. You should already have plans to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 09:57:00 AM »
Just buy it and refinish the handles.
Throw Charlie's grate in and start cooking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
If I was in STL I would get it.  Even if it is rusty the handles can be reused and the GA can be a cooker or a carry case.

Good GAs do not come along as often.  If they do they are usually $40ish with plastic handles.  I actually bought a new wood handle GA on eBay for $70ish I think.  I figured after buying a new one plus wood handles I would be in the same ballpark.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 11:12:24 AM »

Doesn't look like missing porcelain on the inside back corner.  To me it looks like built up grease and crud from grilling. It will probably easily clean up with steel wool and Dawn soap. That cooking grate doesn't look to be in that bad of shape either.  If you don't go with Charlie's offer, it could probably be cleaned up by wire brushing and then buffing with steel wool.  The handles can be lightly sanded, stained and varnished. 

Rescue, Restore, Respect - WKC mantra

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

bamakettles

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 11:25:54 AM »
Buy it!

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:38:07 AM »
Cool thanks for the insights guys! And thanks so much for the offer, MrCPho!

I tend to be indecisive, and this will be my first "rescue", so I was a bit unsure, particularly about that left corner inside. I actually have been in contact with the seller since yesterday afternoon, so I'm definitely planning to pick it up.

MrCPho, I'll get in touch with you once I see the condition of the grates in person. Thanks again for the offer!
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
Re: Is this CGA is worth my time?
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 06:37:59 PM »
Those handles look pretty good to me, I paid 25 for mine with plastic handles and 20 for wood Marlboro handles to go back on it.

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »
That one look like it would clean up nicely.  Very fun to cook on.
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 11:18:28 PM »
Grab it! If the handles are in bad shape, I might be able to help you out. I’m in StL, as well....

BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 05:04:07 AM »
Sooo, did ya' get it yet?
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 05:17:07 AM »
I'd be all over that!  Use mine to cook almost weekly at the dock when I'm just cooking for me or one other.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 10:42:25 AM »
Sooo, did ya' get it yet?

Well did ya? Lol

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Is this CGA is worth my time?
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2019, 11:57:00 AM »
Score! Picked it up at lunch today.

It's got a few dings in the enamel on the exterior corners. The wood handles are in much nicer condition than I thought from the first pic I saw. I think they may have been dusty in that pic. And Cellar2ful was right, the gray stuff inside was not corrosion, but rather ash stuck to grease.Is there hardware missing on the legs or the hanger pieces on the insides of the lid? Or is this how they're supposed to be?  Overall I think I did alright for $10.  Should clean up pretty well.

As I said earlier this is my first rescue, so I need to figure out what I do and don't need to clean it up a bit. I prefer to use common, cheap, low toxicity chemicals for cleaning, like isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, white vinegar. Will any of those be helpful in cleaning this up? If not I'll just refer to the restoration guide.

Should be a fun little project while I’m off between Christmas and New Years.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 12:05:20 PM by KevinInStL »