Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rib roast cook  (Read 2403 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Rib roast cook
« on: November 30, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »
4 pound rib roast.  S&P, granulated garlic, and some herbs for rub. Cooked at 275 until 115 with a hunk of hickory.  Kicked the heat up to warp speed for the sear. 

Cap got a little overdone but was still very good.  Shrimp, asparagus, baked potatoes as sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Rib roast cook
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:37 AM »
Looks incredible!  2 of my friends did rib roasts this weekend. First one was deep fried. He torched the outside and had a 60 degree center. He cut them up and finished as steaks.

Second friend cooked on a pellet grill. It was cooked perfectly and had great flavor but was missing a crust.

Yours looks like it was absolutely perfect and I would argue that it is the simplest and easiest method [emoji106]

I don’t know why my friends forsake their Weber’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

KevinInStL

• WKC Brave
Re: Rib roast cook
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:35:17 AM »
Is this different from prime rib or a whole ribeye roast?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
ISO: Dark red/crimson mist kettle (cooker condition). 18" preferred, but a 22" would be awesome too.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
Is this different from prime rib or a whole ribeye roast?

It’s a ribeye roast.  Aka whole rib roast.  Technically, not prime rib since it was usda choice grade.  This one was boneless.  I prefer it without bones as it will cook more evenly.  I also trimmed the exterior fat to maximize the crust and tied it.

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 07:24:29 PM »
I think they call it prime rib, even if its not prime. I vooked mine a hair too long on thanksgiving

padlin00

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 02:45:47 AM »
I've read that a prime rib has the bone, rib eye does not, no mention of the grade, just the cut.

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 04:03:00 AM »
This is where I get my information

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/prime-rib-and-other-beef-roasts

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 06:14:13 AM »
You can call it a duck turd strapped to a 2x4 for all I care -- that cook simply looks delicious. Prime rib is my absolute go-to favorite when dining out. Nice job!!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:24 PM »
I've read that a prime rib has the bone, rib eye does not, no mention of the grade, just the cut.

At the restaurants ive gotten prime rib at it was cooked like this, whole then cut. The ribeyes I've gotten were cut then cooked. At least thats how ive always understood it

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 05:42:51 AM »

At the restaurants ive gotten prime rib at it was cooked like this, whole then cut. The ribeyes I've gotten were cut then cooked. At least thats how ive always understood it

You are 100% correct.  The "prime" in "prime rib" has nothing to do with cut quality - just the way it's prepared.

Prime rib (or standing rib roast) is cooked whole then carved
Ribeyes are carved from the rib roast then cooked

Annnnnnnnd now I'm hungry ay 8:45AM. Awesome.
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again

View to a Grill

• WKC Brave
    • View to a Grill - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
Turned out nice!

View to a Grill on YouTube

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »
Every year just before Christmas the supermarket around the corner from where I live puts strip and rib roasts on sale for $4.99. Last year I did 6

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Redwng

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »
Actually a "prime rib" does not refer to how a whole roast is cooked, prime does refer to the grade according to my executive chef brother. He suggested this if anyone was not sure; https://www.mychicagosteak.com/steak-university/prime-rib-vs-ribeye/.

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 03:32:15 PM »
Safeway has it on sale 3.97 a lbs right now

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 03:34:38 PM »
Got a 6lbs rib roast for 30.00. Going to slap it down on Christmas Eve. My understanding is ribeye roast, standing rib roast, and prime rib are the same thing, all I know for sure is I’m grilling one in a couple days.