Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Ambassador and the terrifying trip  (Read 5313 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
The Ambassador and the terrifying trip
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
Monday afternoon, right after lunch, I was lazily browsing OfferUp when I noticed a post entitled "Webber style Charcoal Grill."  The picture doesn't have a lid, just a pic of the grill grate with the rim of the bowl and the MBH barely visible.  As I look closer, I notice it seems to be a pale yellow.  There is one more pic with the listing, and there it is.  The whole thing clearly visible, and it's an Ambassador.  It is about 1:25PM.  I immediately contact the seller, and ask if it's still available.  He says it is, but he's only available to pick it up between 5 and 6pm.  He's in Cathedral City, CA (near Palm Springs).  I do a quick Google Maps search to Palm Springs, and if I left AT THAT MOMENT, going through the Mojave National Preserve on sketchy 2 lane desert roads, I would arrive at 5:50.  So I left (without talking to my wife).  Stopped at a gas station to fill up, get a water and some cash, and start driving. 

If you have never driven through the Mojave National Preserve it is desolate.  There is no cell service, and the roads are paved but rough.  I blaze through going about 70mph the entire time, picking up time, as Google Maps says I'll arrive at 5:35.  But then I get cell service again, and now my ETA is 6:15...there was a CRAZY shooting on the highway in Yucca Valley, CA (google Yucca Valley right now), and the highway had been shut down.  Fortunately, Apple Maps came online and offered me a workaround on even MORE sketchy roads to get around Yucca Valley.  I went on a sand road, then a gravel road, and then got back on the highway right past where the police were waving people off the road. Got on I-10, and then into Palm Springs where I arrived at 5:50 to pick up a complete Ambassador from a nice guy in Cathedral City.  I immediately get back in the car and turn around to go back home. 

Stop at a McDonalds to get a burger, and download some comedians from Netflix for the ride back, hop in the car, turn onto Gene Autry Trail, and then, my trusty 2005 Hyundai Tucson with 210,000 miles stops accelerating.  Gun the gas, nothing.  Moving, but no pick up in speed.  I stop the Tucson in the entrance to a VERY fancy Palm Springs gated community, and turn off the car then start it again.  I call my wife to tell her that I think my car is broken down, and she is NOT HAPPY.  I have work the next day, and being 240 miles away would not be good.  I start the car up again, go down the street with my hazards on, and It seems like it won't go out of second gear.  I move it into Hyundai's "shiftronic" gears where I can move gears myself.  Get it into third, acceleration picks up, but is ugly, get it into fourth, and it's fine.  Stop at a light then the same thing happens, but everything goes OK once I get it into fourth gear.  So, I keep going and get on Interstate 10 heading back home.  Call my wife and tell her I'm on the highway, and I'll keep her updated, and that I would be taking the long way back to stay on interstates so I'd have cell service.  30 miles later I need to gas up, and I stop at a Chevron...put in a tank of gas, and then restart the trusty Tucson, hoping it will get going OK.  And lo and behold, it does.  Smooth acceleration, no problems. 

Until I get to San Bernardino.  I don't know what happened, but as I got on the 215, my car starts shaking violently.  I put on the hazards and make my way to the nearest exit with the car making a THUMP THUMP THUMP, and the steering wheel shaking.  I have no idea what was wrong.  Stop at a Shell station and look all over my car.  transmission fluid is full (but dark), tires seem fine, engine now idling no problem.  Drive down a residential street, and all seems fine again.  With nothing else to do, I get back on the highway.  And everything was fine...like nothing ever happened.  I was worried about going over Cajon Pass, but as I got to the top of the climb, all was good.  100 miles later, I was worried about Halloran Summit (a 3000 foot climb), and everything was fine.  80 miles later, I saw the bright lights of Vegas, and knew it would all be OK.  Got home at 10:45, to a relieved (but pretty angry) wife.

My wife is amazing.  She is very patient with me, BUT, I did leave her without telling (she was still teaching class), I left her to pick up both kids from Cross Country practice, and make dinner...but I apologized profusely (ask forgiveness not permission?)  All is good now...happy wife, happy life.

Yesterday, the trusty Tucson drove to and from school with no problems...except a fender bender with ONE OF MY OWN STUDENTS in the parking lot, that was my fault as I was backing out of a spot.  Just a scratch on their car, my plastic bumper got mostly ripped off.  (Flex Tape to the rescue)

Anyway, with all this happening, I didn't have time to do anything with it yesterday, or really today, but I had time to wash off all the exterior dust and grime tonight right before sunset.  It is pretty sweet.  A few chips, but overall in excellent condition.  Two small things, one of the welds on the triangle is broken, and one leg socket has one weld broken, but the other two welds on that socket are fine, so it sits just slightly wonky.  I know that was a LONG setup, but it was a pretty epic trip, my first in quite a while, and yes I plan on a more thorough restore, when I have a bit more time ( @Cellar2ful is an inspiration).  Finally, this is an Arlington Heights Ambassador...which if I'm correct, has to be one of the last ones produced.
So, on to the two good pics before sundown:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:55:29 PM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

dazzo

• WKC Performer
Re: The Ambassador and the terrifying trip
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
All that and only two pictures?

[emoji16]

Nice pickup, and what an adventure!
Dude, relax your chicken.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 08:33:32 PM »
That’s crazy!  I’d be sleeping in the car if I pulled something like that. I do tell the wife when I’m making a trip to get a grill in case I break down or some crazy shit happens.

Beautiful grill and I’m sure every time you look at it you’ll think of that horrible road trip. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Lowbrass

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
Love the story!  Congrats, now we need more pictures!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club
"The Fairway" '74, 22” Turquose, 18" Red C code, 18" Blue DU code x2, Gen 2 Grass Green Performer, 26” Glen Blue, Spring Green, "Bone", Turquose, Blue Wave, Wedgewood Blue, “Smoke”, Crimson and Homer SJGs.  14" and 18" WSM

Grails (HELP!): IMPERIAL GLEN BLUE!

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 08:45:16 PM »

Congratulations Jason. Been waiting on this reveal since your "tease" post.  Nothing like a time sensitive kettle run. Glad you made it home safe.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

inkaddictedchef1

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »
Wow, Jason. Just wow! Awesome score and run!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

1spacemanspiff

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:39 PM »
Glad you got to check one off your list.  It looks awesome and I'm glad everything worked out
ISO Yellow Offset SJ, Yellow ranger

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 01:15:21 AM »
Awesome score!!!  The trip might have been hell, but it gave you a grate story to tell.  Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 03:15:20 AM »
Wow, what a road trip, glad you and the grill arrived safe
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Pezdogs

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 04:00:30 AM »
Amazing adventure to score that gem. Well done

Sent from my SM-N976B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

bear

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 04:36:38 AM »
Speeding is naughty

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 05:40:25 AM »
Amazing score, congrats!  Grate story.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

GrillGuyMosier

• WKC Ranger
    • My eBay Items
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 05:52:08 AM »
Epic story, thank you for sharing
Text @ 419-619-6379

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
Wow that’s quite a road trip, and quite a grill!  Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

jhagestad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
ROAD TRIP!!!
Wife: Let me guess... you want to grill again