Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hit the “Fairway” after a long drive!  (Read 1338 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
Hit the “Fairway” after a long drive!
« on: August 16, 2019, 12:56:02 PM »
The stars aligned on this one.  I was taking a look at Craigslist at the end of the work day Thursday and found what appeared to be an 18 lime kettle in southern Michigan.  Quite a little drive for me but I had Friday off, so I made an offer.  Limes are not easy to come by.  Much to my surprise, I was first in line. 

Picked it up this morning.  77 lime.  The Fairway.... Caddywampus and the triangle is upside down but I think it’ll clean up well.   There’s porcelain pops in the usual spots at the grate straps but no crazing.  My 22 lime has a lot of crazing.   Seems like limes are prone to it.  The previous owner had been using a cookie sheet to catch the ash.  I found the ash pan in the bowl buried in ash underneath the charcoal grate!  Fun little road trip.   Southwest Michigan is beautiful along the lake if you ever get a chance to visit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:23:25 PM by michaelmilitello »

MagnoliaTom

• WKC Brave
Re: Hit the “Fairway” after a long drive!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
Nice pick up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MBH redhead 22”, Smokey joe AU, Q 100, SSP EE code, new 26”
Looking for MBH 26

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:34:02 PM »
Nice find! If another lime pops up soon (and it isn't me) I might turn so green that in will break down and buy a Spring Green MT.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:06:42 PM »
Nice pickup & roadtrip Michael.
I found the missing ashpan from my Chestnut the same way.
Buried under ash and a grate that looks like it may have been from a mini fridge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
That's a sweet kettle! I would road trip in a heartbeat for a lime, unless it is in northern Missouri then I would probably tell @ReanimatedRobot lol

RottiGuy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 04:40:10 PM »
Beauty find!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

RyanRLS

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 04:42:59 PM »
Seems to be limetime atm.. scored one this week aswell and heard of a couple more. Grate score!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
Seems to be limetime atm.. scored one this week aswell and heard of a couple more. Grate score!

Dang... nice!   (Green):o  Anyone know of any good hiding spots for a Spring Green grill?  The wifey certainly won't buy it if I said I found it on Marketplace for $50.  :P

@Walchit I think a piece of me would probably die if I missed one in my own back yard.  I told someone today I like finding color Weber grills and restoring them.  They were like "they made them in color?" and I get this response almost every time I bring it up in conversation. haha.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 06:53:14 PM by ReanimatedRobot »
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 09:46:47 PM »
Congrats!  Still on my to do list!  Can’t wait to see the cleanup!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:56:48 PM »
Congrats, this is a beautiful kettle!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 02:23:23 AM »
Very cool find.  Love a long drive to pick up a kettle with a large coffee.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2019, 03:48:53 AM »
Put pictures of your colored kettles on your real FB page every once in a while.  My guess is that eventually, someone you know will wind up calling you about some colored kettle they see at a garage sale for $7 (or whatever). 

If you want to be on the safe side, you could disconnect from any Kettle FB groups with your actual FB page.  Create a 2nd account, just for kettle groups if you want to remain there.  That way, they will just view you as that weird guy with all the kettles instead of thinking "wow, this $7 kettle might be worth some money".   :o

Dang... nice!   (Green):o  Anyone know of any good hiding spots for a Spring Green grill?  The wifey certainly won't buy it if I said I found it on Marketplace for $50.  :P

@Walchit I think a piece of me would probably die if I missed one in my own back yard.  I told someone today I like finding color Weber grills and restoring them.  They were like "they made them in color?" and I get this response almost every time I bring it up in conversation. haha.
regards,
Hal

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 04:05:45 AM »
My buddy sent me a pic of a sears kettle or something and asked if I was interested. I said is it free? Lol. Then I told him I wished it had the internal ash pan, and he said he tossed it. Said it wasnt worth saving, but it probably was lol.

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »
I tried this one day for a few hours by posting it in our local FB group.  I had more people wanting one than offering to sell one so I removed it.  I figured it was better to hunt than to create more competition! haha

Put pictures of your colored kettles on your real FB page every once in a while.  My guess is that eventually, someone you know will wind up calling you about some colored kettle they see at a garage sale for $7 (or whatever). 

If you want to be on the safe side, you could disconnect from any Kettle FB groups with your actual FB page.  Create a 2nd account, just for kettle groups if you want to remain there.  That way, they will just view you as that weird guy with all the kettles instead of thinking "wow, this $7 kettle might be worth some money".   :o

I tried this one day in our local FB group and had more interest in people wanting one than there were in selling one.  I figured it was better to hunt than to create more competition. lol

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2019, 10:36:01 AM »
Way to keep it in the short grass, nice drive

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill