Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: A Weber and a B-17  (Read 851 times)

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
A Weber and a B-17
« on: July 13, 2019, 01:19:51 PM »
Fortunately, my wife does not seem to mind new grill acquisitions if it involves a fun day road trip.  I made a nice deal for a O code red in Dayton, and we went today to pick it up.  After the pick up, we stopped at the National Air Force Museum.  I’m a military aviation fan and the museum now has the Memphis Belle on display.  Great free museum and well worth the trip.  As an aside, my grandpa was a ball turret gunner on a B-17 in WWII.  He flew 32 missions in 44-45.  We capped the trip with a nice lunch. 

Here’s the grill.  Should clean up well.  It has good bones.  Handles are faded but solid.  One touch is still solid and original. 

The “Belle”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: A Weber and a B-17
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:48:17 PM »
“O” man, that’s a nice rescue!  Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

CatskillSmoker

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
Sweet score with an alternate plan Congrats. Never Forget!

PotsieWeber

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »
Looks like a nice redhead. 
regards,
Hal

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:44:29 PM »
I’ve been watching that redhead! And the B-17 is my favorite aircraft. I was at the NMUSAF in June for Father’s Day. My grandfather was a tail gunner in a B-17. I don’t know how many missions he went on, but according to my grandma, he only missed one mission. On the mission he missed, the tail gunner “turret” got blown off. I’m thankful he missed that mission!!

Side note: I really enjoyed the C-17 Globaster outside. It’s HUGE!! I can’t wait to see the even larger C-5 Galaxy! (Four year old daughter for scale)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
Nice

I was able to see the Memphis Belle when it was on Mud Island
Dude, relax your chicken.

Brain_STL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 07:43:48 PM »
I’m a huge aviation buff and seeing pictures of the Memphis Belle is special, kinda like seeing the Enola Gay up close at the Smithsonian.  I also didn’t realize they were mothballing C17’s. What a shame, they’re not that old and don’t have as many hours on them as most airline aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

michaelmilitello

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 03:40:01 AM »
I’m a huge aviation buff and seeing pictures of the Memphis Belle is special, kinda like seeing the Enola Gay up close at the Smithsonian.  I also didn’t realize they were mothballing C17’s. What a shame, they’re not that old and don’t have as many hours on them as most airline aircraft.

[emoji4]The Air Force Museum also has “Bockscar,” the B29 that dropped the fat man on Nagasaki. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schaefd2

• WKC Ranger
A Weber and a B-17
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 04:55:52 AM »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 06:00:07 AM by Schaefd2 »
I've been called the Robin Hood of Weber Kettles.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 06:10:24 AM »
I took the kids when they were younger. It’s an awesome museum. Really worth the trip. Looked like a great time and a kettle on top of it.

cookingjnj

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 03:15:17 PM »
Airplanes and Weber Kettle Grills....two amazing inventions (I take poetic license) the world would be completely different without.

TheKevman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »
Great-looking grill! Those are some cool pics of the Memphis Belle. Your grandfather must’ve had some stories to tell. Incredible.

A man who has an experience is never at the mercy of a man who has just a theory.