Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: couple of 3lb pork butt 2" thick  (Read 700 times)

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
couple of 3lb pork butt 2" thick
« on: July 03, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »
A newbie on smoking pork butt and would need some input. I bought a Sam's Club Pork Butt cryavac wrapped and it made me CRY. It smelled really bad, like fish, dead dead meat and I trashed it. Because of that bad experience I went and bought from a local supermarket, 2each 3lb pork butt that's about 2" thick a piece. I'd want to do pulled pork with this.

I've kosher salted them and let them sit in the fridge overnight and I assume this is only going to take 4 to 6 hours @ 225. Should I stand them up on a rib rack if they'd fit or just lay em flat? lol, the fat cap "was" situated on the 2" side in which I trimmed off so both flat sides are mostly meat. "edit" the meat is a bit to thick for a rib rack, I'd have to squish it in and feel I'll lose bark in doing so
Spritz apple juice every couple of hours(or hour)? Do I have to wrap(I rather have more bark)?

Anyone did pulled pork with these 2" thick pork?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:51:26 PM by Paul S »
RetireCheapJC says: There's always an option.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: couple of 3lb pork butt 2" thick
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
I’ve been going to sams for years and have mostly had a good experience. Only one time in all the years did I open a package of pork butts and they were off. Way off. Smelled just like you said. I took them back immediately and they gave me a refund.

Good call on not using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
yeah, I rinsed the slab and let it stand for 10 minutes and the smell was still there. Like a newbie, I took it for granted that the package date code that fell on my cook date would be good, you know like beef, but read online, you should look for those that fresher than what I got,"sigh" live and learn. The stink stuck to my hand and knife after washing, Yikes! it stunk up our kitchen pretty much and it kept me smelling my hands for some time and to get it out of my mind. lol

this morning I went to the local store, asked the butcher of the smell, he confirmed those cryavac'd ribs or butts do sometimes have that smell and if you let it sit for awhile, the smell should dissipate and if not... . Once in the past I got ribs from Sam's in the cryavac wrap and it had a little smell to it, I rinsed it and didn't think much of it and cooked it, it was a mistake on my part, after it was done and I tasted it the experience of the smell still made me 2nd guess it. lol, another live and learn

any thoughts on my choices of pork to make pulled pork, I'm gonna do it but if anyone has done it, I'm all eyes and ears
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:42:42 PM by Paul S »

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 04:33:31 PM »
this is the pork butt ~2" thick each:

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:46:00 AM »
I would tie them together to make one oval shaped roast. That’s what I did last week with the boneless pork butt I bought at Costco. It was a 12 lb roast. I cut it in half, put one half in the freezer and tied up the other to make a more round/oval roast. I salted it the day before I rubbed it and put it right on the indirect grill side. It didn’t really stall, but the bark was set so I wrapped it and went for another hour until it hit 195*. I took it off the grill and held it in the oven of our travel trailer until we were ready to eat. It was nice and juicy and shredded beautifully.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
Annie it looks delicious. thank you for the response. If I've small cuts in future cooks I may try to employ your suggestion.
As I already had it in the smoker before I read your post. lol

Well, it took me 9 hours, ~6 hours @ 225f, ~2 hours @ 235f and finished off 1hour @ 250f. My guess of 4 to 6 hours was way off. Here's some pics off my 1st try with pulled pork butt:

it's a bit oily, is it supposed to be like that?  I shredded with the oils that came out of the pork while I let it rest. I got another one to shred
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 09:21:40 PM by Paul S »

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
Paul S, that looks great, but more importantly, how did it taste?

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 07:45:57 AM »
Annie,

everyone said it tasted great soft/juicy. Tasty Heart Stoppers. lol
I thought the pork would have shrunk alot, we're going freeze a lot to eat another day.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 07:52:11 AM by Paul S »

Annie Oakley

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 08:14:26 AM »
Right on, Paul!

JEBIV

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 08:14:42 AM »
A timely success I might say
Seeking a Black Sequoia I know I know, I'd settle for just the tabbed no leg grill

Paul S

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 09:09:18 AM »
my breakfast sand

I heated it up in the micro with a little bbq sauce and I must say it suits my taste. I'm a long time Imu/Kalua pork eater and my only experience with American bbq pulled pork were from those that have a lot of sauce that over powers the pulled pork.
Last night after I shredded it, I ate it plain on a out of package bun and no sauce. This morning I have a different view of American bbq pulled pork sandwiches. It ranks right up there with my kalua pork taste buds
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:16:38 AM by Paul S »

Walchit

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
Looks good to me! And yes it should still have some oil/grease. I wanna do up a batch for the freezer myself

bbqking01

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »
No wrapping or trimming. Two pack Costco pork shoulder. Smoked 4+ hours then ended up in crock pot. Juicy yummy goodness. Little sweet baby rays, and we where good to go.

crizpynutz

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 05:01:48 AM »
Looks awesome, nice job!