Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Restore progress - Mid 60's texan  (Read 3554 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Restore progress - Mid 60's texan
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:13:55 AM »
I am making some progress.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/my-grill-restore/msg38633

I am having a hard time with the wheels, getting the white walls painted, Brian is saving the day with some stickers for the job.

I am using all original parts and cleaning them.

Not perfect but much cleaner

Kettle is all cleaned and Brian's handle looks amazing.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Restore progress - Mid 60's texan
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:32:22 AM »
That's looking real good! I love the wavy orange peel on the older porcelain.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

DaGoomba

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 06:41:31 AM »
Looks great so far!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 06:52:45 AM »
Looks great so far.  I too am cleaning black steelies right now.  What did you use to clean them? 

Mine were frankly in good shape.  I doused them with WD-40 in oder to remove the finishing nail that the PO was using as a cotter pin.  The next day I noticed the wheels were clean.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
Its coming along nicely! Thats a sweet handle!  After using 0000 steel on legs, I've finished them off with Mother's Mag. Makes 'em shine like new. I used that method on my 60's 18.5 Easterner's legs.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:01:21 AM »
That's going to be one sweet Texan!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Restore progress - Mid 60's texan
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 07:09:17 AM »
Fine looking work !
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

dazzo

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 07:36:25 AM »

Very nice!

There's a special place in my heart for metal handled black kettles.

Dude, relax your chicken.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 07:47:17 AM »
Its coming along nicely! Thats a sweet handle!  After using 0000 steel on legs, I've finished them off with Mother's Mag. Makes 'em shine like new. I used that method on my 60's 18.5 Easterner's legs.

When you all use Mother's Mag & Alluminum, fo you just wipe it on with a soft rag, and wipe it off with a clean cloth?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 07:51:08 AM »

When you all use Mother's Mag & Alluminum, fo you just wipe it on with a soft rag, and wipe it off with a clean cloth?

I have some metal and aluminum cleaner /polish already.  I was wondering if I was doing it right
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
LB, I have and have used a product called Noxon in the past, and frankly I am not really impressed with how it works.  (I use a "wipe on with one rag, wipe vigorously off with another" method).

I am going to try Mother's soon, and like you said I want to hear how other folks apply it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:25:17 AM by G$ »

Golly

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
i use the 0000 inconjunction with mothers mag polish together in electric dreams
GET ON THAT SHIT
WONT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »

I rub it on the legs then let it sit for a couple minutes then I wipe it off with a different cloth. It really shines them up.....now if there's already pitting from age, that will remain but the pitting with shiny legs still adds character to the vintage kettles. I do the same thing on the old ash pans too.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 05:49:37 PM »
Well, I had a rough night.

I started to put the grill together I started with the triangle and the wheels and in my haste I forget the LEGS.  So in trying to get the end caps off I bend (slightly) the inside of the metal wheel.  Well, it is not that bad but still ticks me off. I ended up cutting off the metal end caps.
With regards to the legs I picked up Mother mag and aluminum polish.  Holy crap that stuff is amazing on the legs.

I don't know if the pic gives it justice but here is a leg partially done.

Stuff is awesome

zorknards2

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 07:10:30 PM »
looks nice I am having the pitting issue on my legs of my 56 well mainly the front leg the other 2 are coming out fine yours is lookin g great though
i almost have all my grails but waiting for that yellow to miraculously appear maybe in ny.